Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 4 years 3 months ago #25801

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
As I bought my bike without any coils or leads I did some investigating on what to get. I read the FAQ section and was nearly sold on Nology 3 ohm doubles but could not get myself to press 'purchase' as they are so expensive. Then, brainwave: I did a search on the forum for 'coils' and (bless this site! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: ) I found this thread.

I have just bid for three AW82 TR1's in great condition from Germany for 68 Euros plus shipping. Once they are here and I have tested them, I will get the other supplies and make up the leads etc. Much more fun and so much cheaper, plus by all accounts a great upgrade.

One question (as I did not have these when I got the bike) am I seeing it right that two are mounted underneath the tray and one on top? If I didn't need a resistor, can I not get them all (or at east two of them) to fit in/above the tray, just underneath the tank? That would mean less heat soak from the engine and a cleaner look...

I will try that anyway and will post pics of what I achieve (or not!)

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 4 years 3 months ago #25802

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I don't see a link to the post you found can you repost it.

thanks

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 4 years 2 months ago #25833

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
As far as coil placement- you MIGHT be able to to, but I'm not sure the benefits would be worth the effort. Depending on the orientation they may stick out too far to clear the fuel tank tunnel, and you're still going to end up with at least one hanging under the top frame rail anyway. You'll also need to find a place to run the main trunk of the wiring harness- on a stock setup it lies along the right side of the coil (while the resistor, if you have one, takes up the corresponding space on the left), and it is not insubstantial. I don't have the bike in front of me, so I can't say for sure.

And on a 100% personal opinion of an observation, I actually think the stock setup for the coils is rather elegant. I did the AW82-TR1 upgrade on my bike a while ago, and they 100% just drop into the stock locations. But to each their own. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzFlames, McBoney

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 3 years 9 months ago #27298

• fabio
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everybody, i wonder if you can give some advises.
My bike ( Z1300 A1) sometime misfiring ,I noticed weak sparks and fouled spark plugs, ..i found this:
2 coils are original measured around 1.9 ohms,the other is a AW82 TR1 measured 2.7 ohms, where the pink wire is connected on + spade connector.
All coils are connected with the ballast measured 2.0 ohms.
As one of the original coils is cracked,i'm going to buy other two AW82 TR1,so with all coils at 2.7 ohms can i remove safely the ballast ?
thanks a lot
fabio

Last edit: by fabio.

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 3 years 9 months ago #27305

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Fabio,

If you have AW82 Coils fitted, then the Ballast Resistor should be removed or at least bypassed.
This is probably the reason why you have had the issues you have, with only 1 fitted and the resistor still in place.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

AW82-TR1 Coil Upgrade For Z1300 & KZ1300. How To ! 3 years 9 months ago #27355

• fabio
  • Thank you received: 0
At the end i found 2 new coils, they measured 2.5 ohms but i'm a little worried about the CDI limit.
So i'm looking for a 0.5 - 0.8 ohms ballast but are hard to find here, mostly only 1.6 ohm-
i see Autozone have it but they are no more in Ebay for international shipping,
Do you know others dealers or is doable to "shorten" the ballast resistance from 1.6 to 0.5 ?
thank
fabio

i

Last edit: by fabio.
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds