Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 10 months ago #20219

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Anyone would know where I can get the plastic ignition cable holders? I don't know how they are called, but they look sort of like brass knuckles. I'd like to keep the HT's together.
I think scotch you have them. I saw them in your photos.

Also - any sources for the reed valves hoses so I can replace these? The ends are split, but otherwise they seal alright, so it's mostly visual. It would be good to have new rubber there.

Another piece installed - the battery bracket. Now waiting for the tool tray in the mail.
The filter is K&N. There is a guy in Ontario on Kijiji and he sells them much cheaper than any other source.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 10 months ago #20224

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Almost ready for the ballast resistors and final connection - just need to see what size connectors to use.

Update:
Well, I think I am simply impatient at this stage. I might have to redo these - just the length of the colored wires..they are probably about 2 inches (5 cm) too short. I guess different harnesses can be different? I went by the sample of both the same length, but this seems to not work. Not a big deal. But another reminder to mock things up before assembly.

I'd suggest the red wires about 1.5 length of the coil, and add about 5 cm (2 inch) to the length of the colored wires, as they are about this much behind coming from the main harness. When done, pictures should follow.
Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 10 months ago #20227

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
As in the photos, I suggest binding any stripped wire ends with solder, no matter what. It makes a good start if you want to make further soldered connections, and if not, makes crimping easier and more secure. It's been years since I've done this, and it just came back. Strip the outer plastic, dip the copper in flux, apply some solder and heat. The ends will be a one solid piece and easy to trim and secure in any connectors, crimped or soldered.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 9 months ago #20352

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Music finished, the front turn signals, headlight, all wired! :)

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 9 months ago #20363

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 9 months ago #20371

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Topic scotch developed allergy to, LOL - coils and resistors.

Got these from eBay. Warning: costly!!! But no other choice, and I had no choice trying to source those or alternatives for months.

Without any proper bench set up, to fabricate something beautiful as I used to, I just pulled out a small sheet of brass I brought with me from Japan and used scrap metal pieces and a hammer to fabricate this bracket. A bit tricky on my lap, but holds the resistors tight and beautiful.

I think direction doesn't matter, so I put all the 'dots' left. The yellow power wires from the harness will go to the right. I used the bottom original Kawasaki bracket as suggested before. The resistors are advertised as Beru but came as Bosh. Same thing as I've been told. These are 0.4 Ohm checked, not sure what the one with different number means. Perhaps just different batch, as it comes with a different blue bracket color and from a different source.

Brass cut to size and bend a bit here and there to create a tension effect to hold everything nice and tight.

The back drilled to fit he back threaded hole on the OEM lower mounting bracket.

A plate insert to protect the back screw from hitting the top resistor and cracking it. It also applies extra tension, acting like a spring in particular to the middle resistor.

A mock up of how this will be.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds