Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20825

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Have you given any thought to putting a rope on the dolly to help getting it over the lip of doorways, elevators guiding it down the hallway help steer or stop it from getting away or as a stop (drop the rope in front of wheels or behind to stop movement)
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20826

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Thank you stocktoy, that's a good idea. The final details I will work out once it's on a dolly, wile practicing in the room. And I'm planning on getting larger size wheels so they would roll easier over any ridges.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20892

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Final pictures of the bike at my place. Tonight it will be standing on a solid ground!
I used four 5 inch swivel caster wheels, each good for 220 pounds. With the straps, and of course long screws for the wood, it's all solid like if made from one piece. I can move and maneuver the bike with ease just by myself, even on the soft carpet, holding it by the frame. The assembly will begin and I should be riding it in a few short days :)

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20893

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Stan, I can hardly wait for your post that announces you have started the engine for the first time! Keep the photos coming. It looks amazing. All those months of hard work will soon be rewarded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20905

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just to report that the bike is on the ground and already on it's two wheels. It went very smooth, maneuvering it was very easy with my two hands. No strain at all! The key for such ventures is to have four swivel caster wheels.

I am doing a few 'small' things now, and tomorrow the whole exhaust will go on the bike.

One question. On A4 models there are two different throttle cables. One shorter, and one longer. The longer one has also a longer 'elbow'.
From looking at the photos when I took them of the bike when it arrived, this one is 'close', and the shorter cable is 'open'.
I had no problem connecting the shorter one to the carb, and it functions like it should. But I can't connect the supposed 'close' cable! It seems too short! With all the springs I know we don't really need the 'close' cable, but since I bought a beautiful new one, which looks correct, I'd like to use it! Any thoughts? Is there a trick to it that I am missing or do I have things mixed up.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 8 months ago #20914

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi Stan, what exactly is stopping it fitting?

Have you started by threading the barrel into the disc slot first, then work backwards to mounting the adjuster sleeve (adjusted as loose as possible) then taking up slack on adjust last?

On my '79 A1 it's the only way to create enough slack to get the inner cable around and the barrel started.

Richard.
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds