Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21603

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Off-topic..... I'm trying to send you a PM Bucko and get an error message. Could you try PM me?
Stan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21604

• Tuomas
  • Tuomas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Re-arranged all the plug wires. Still it didn't start. Some backfiring and coughing.

Sorry about accordion playing at the backround. Not my choice.

Another question. What does that bolt under the cover, in the middle of the picture, do? Feels like some sort of ratchet.

Is it some sort of tensioner? It is opposite to water pump.

Last edit: by Tuomas.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21605

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Bucko wrote:

Kawboy wrote: Tuomas,
I sent you on a bit of a goose chase this morning. You're working on a ZN1300 not a kz1300.

The ZN wiring diagram I have shows Blue/Green/Black as per your earlier comment (I added the plug numbers): ??

I pulled an excerpt for the ignition coils from the ignition wiring diagram on page 5-6 of the ZN manual.
The pick up coil resistance chart which shows the color coding came from page 5-11 of the ZN service manual.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21608

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
What does that bolt under the cover, in the middle of the picture, do? Feels like some sort of ratchet

That cover is referred to as a release plug item # 92066 (picture from Partzilla parts manual) and it gives access to the water pump drive shaft. On the kz1300 in order to remove that bolt on the end of the shaft, you have to have the cylinder head off. Why they put a plug access hole on the right side of the cylinder block to gain access I don't know. In order to remove that bolt you have to have a wrench on the water pump shaft to counteract the torque as you remove that bolt.

This is a pic of the kz1300 water pump drive shaft looking from the top. All the same parts except for the gear to drive the timing advancer which in your ZN is on the end of the crankshaft right side.

If you tried to turn that bolt and got a "ratcheting effect" Then you turned the water pump drive shaft and the racheting effect was the drive chain jumping teeth which means the drive chain tensioner is not taking up the slack. Not good.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21609

• Tuomas
  • Tuomas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
At this point we would like to thank everyone involved in problem solving. Thank You for good pictures and diagrams etc.!
We are running out of ideas at the moment.

Last edit: by Tuomas.

1984 ZN1300 Voyager not starting 5 years 5 months ago #21611

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Tuomas wrote: At this point we would like to thank everyone involved in problem solving. Thank You for good pictures and diagrams etc.!
We are running out of ideas at the moment.

I'm sorry if we haven't been much help. I would ask that when you finally get the beast going, let us know what you figured out. I know I've pretty much exhausted all of my best input here and if I've missed something obvious, I'd like to know so I can slap myself silly.;)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds