We've got LOTs of gas down here in Texas. I just looked for you and tomorrow's price is $2.79 per 1,000,000 BTU.
You're killing me Frank. Propane is 24000 btu's /liter. So that's 41.66 liters per 1000000 btu. I'm paying 61.9 cents / liter for propane. 41.6 x 61.9 = $25.79 per million btu and you're paying $2.79 for the same??
Natural gas in Ontario is $ 0.394 per M3 28.31 M3 in 1,000,000 btu. .394 x 28.31 = $11.15 CDN / million BTU + another 13% Goods and Services Tax = $12.59 Which is $9.45 USD to your $2.79 and I'm guessing we use a hell of a lot more heating energy than you do in Texas.
Are those air jets non-standard, Kawboy?
By the way, I’m with you regarding temperatures , 18c is more than warm enough for me. I’d rather be cold than too hot.
These are Mikuni standard air jets in the B42/55 series. The choke air mod that Scotch dreamed up using silicone tubing and a piece of 1/8" brass tubing has conceptually proven to work. Scotch has elected to use carb main jets from Holley size 82 with a .094" orifice in place of the silicone tubing and brass tubing. I'm guessing he had them hanging around in the shop. I went to www.jetsrus.com and ordered a set of these B42/55 in a 280 jet size which works out to .110" orifice. Not quite as aggressive a mod as Scotch's But definitely aggressive compared to the stock orifice which I think is somewhere around .230" .StanG did the mod as well and is quite happy with Scotch's recommendation of .092". I figured if I was going to do this mod and have to buy jets then I like the lower profile of the B42/55's. I can sink the head of the jet flush with the carb body and make it look professional. Not to say that the main jet won't look really good. Either way, out with the silicone tubing and in with a really nice mod.
Kudos to Scotch for taking us one step further into a better set up for the KZ1300's. Starting has always been a problem after a long sit or in extreme cold weather. This mod brings the bike to life in short order.
I started the bike without problem in -5 C after sitting for a couple weeks. Fired right away on full choke and soon had to take it down to run without it. As you could expect, a bit rough as all is very cold, but soon it started warming up and things flow. It takes a very long time though to see the temperature needle go up to safe riding levels - I always warm the engine well before taking off. We got lots of snow here so no riding, just wanted to hear the noise! lol
Nice alternative with these jets. I suppose it requires disassembly as cutting a thread will generate shavings and despite all the precautions, it would be easy to miss one causing trouble. You will need to flush it with a good compressed carb cleaner from a can at the minimum. The silicone tube plus brass are a just 'push-in' mod. But as scotch said, he disassembles carbs every year anyway, so it would be a good chance to do it. I'm too lazy though dealing with carbs already assembled on my bench... I think I will get really motivated once hearing reports how it worked.