Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26216

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I agree. That was my concern as well, but when I measured the difference from inner rim to inner rim in the stanchion holes, the difference was less than 5mm, and obviously the bottom yoke 'allowed' this movement, so for the moment I am not too concerned. All seems to move OK.

I guess if proves to be an issue the forks will start to leak... I'll keep an eye on it, as I will keep an eye on just about everything else as this is a custom build, and my first! ;)
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 weeks ago #26233

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Got a rear fender. Still full size, have a play to see what looks good. But can't affix yet as the stance of the bike will change with the engine in. But have decided how to fix this to the unsprung part of the bike : four stiff steel brackets onto the end of the swing arm.

On that front: still need to find someone to turn me a sleeve for the steering pin and bottom yoke.

Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 weeks ago #26236

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Re: the last picture - laughing at myself ! For a split second I thought you'd made a front wheel drive version. Duh ! :whistle:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 weeks ago #26237

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ha! Good idea for the next build! :P

Steering may be an issue.... rear wheel?

... gonna get complicated!

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 weeks ago #26389

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, there have been no updates for the past two weeks as the bike is at the mill and I am at home - quarantined. I'm not sick and neither are any of my family, but my wife had cancer a few years back and as such is at higher risk. so I am not taking too many chances.

BUT... major breakthrough... she has agreed that I can build a small extension on the back of my overfull garage, so then I can take the bike home and work on it here and keep me from going spare with boredom (the garden can only keep my interest for so long!)

:cheer:

(and you may think - he is under her thumb... well, that may be so, but that is the way our marriage has been working for the past 27 years; we discuss major expenditure and/or major changes and we agree them, and if we don't, the status quo remains).

So... I have done a quick design and costing and I will be getting materials delivered soon. Hopefully I will be able to start building next week. Then, once it is up, I'll move the bike here and continue with the fun bits.

I might make a few pics - time-lapsed to show progress, but I promise I will keep it bike-orientated rather than garage extension orientated. ;-)

Cheers
Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 weeks ago #26391

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I wouldn't be too worried about keeping it bike oriented. We have wiggle room here. It's always interesting to hear what we all have to do to stay above water so we can get back to what we love. I'm in the middle of a complete reno on a 20 year old house and once the interior/exterior is done, I'll focus on renovating the 2 car garage to make it work when before I had a 4-1/2 car garage of 1300 sq. ft. I'll make it work. THEN I'll get back to the KZ XIII project
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds