Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25445

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
To save you some potential grief: After straightening - Shorten the side stand if you decide you must, at the foot !!! The stand is forged ( inclusive of the clevis.) Cutting it at the clevis is not an acceptable option.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25469

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Setback today... I found a great front wheel from a Benelli Tre K Amazonas - one that went with the forks I got. However, upon arrival there was a small dent in the rim, and when I took the tyre off a crack appeared as well... I did not see it, but the guy looking at repairing the dent did spot it immediately.

... wheel is scrap.

Seller agreed to take the wheel back, but still disappointing.

Lesson learnt: Look very closely at secondhand items... take no chances and get everything checked out by a professional.

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25486

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, so the wheel is on its way back to Italy. Shame, it was a nice wheel, but he, onwards and upwards.

Got my new rear sets delivered last week. Once I measured where my feet needed to go, it was obvious which mounting plates to use.

Once drilled and everything fitted, I took them off and polished them to see if they would come up as shiny as the new rear sets. They did! What a difference a little polishing makes!

Now on the hunt for a set of pinch bolts and connecting rods. And a new front wheel of course!

Now I have a gear pedal, a brake pedal and two perfect foot pegs spare - Ebay here we come.
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 3 months ago #25653

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Update:

The rear set gear connecting rods arrived and I mocked it up with the gear cam lever that I fashioned out of an old Triumph brake lever. It became very obvious the side stand was going to be in the way, so I bit the bullet and took the engine out. As I now know how to do it and what to look for, it took about 45 mins, no extra damage to paintwork. The engine is now back onto a pallet and needs a thorough clean as all the shavings from all the metal grinding, cutting and welding I have been doing are all over it.

Brake connecting rods are on their way, but I am struggling to find a cam lever to fit the brake spindle (16mm). I found one belonging to a 1500 Vulcan, but that is located in the USA and they want USD 53 to send it to me! ... so that is a no.

I turned the bike upside down (just like I did with 40-odd years ago my pedal bikes fixing chains and changing tyres etc :P ) and cut the side stand bracket from the frame. It is a half-moon welded at only the top and bottom, so easily done and easily re-welded approx 26cm forward, right opposite the forward bottom engine mount. I still need to fine-tune the angle by bending the stand itself slightly, but it is incredibly strong, so will need heating. I will not cut off the centre stand brackets as there is no need. I can just remove the centre stand when I want and put it back on should I need it.

I took the tank home as it was getting rusty at the mill where I work (and where I have the welding equipment). I sanded it down today and clear-coated it to prevent further rust. Looks quite cool... but doesn't fit my vision, so will get painted later.

I repaired, cleaned up and painted an old radiator and also got a fan, which needed some tlc to get working again. I fashioned a grille from some copper mesh I found and is looking quite cool. The old chrome and rubber surround had been cut off so I can't use anymore, no matter, I think my own design is nicer... but still not 100% sure about it. I'll decide later.

I found a brand new, unused(!), Benelli front wheel to match my front forks in Italy, but have yet to hear whether they will accept my offer. And a top yoke of my own design is being CAD-ed up for me by a precision engineering firm and once I'm happy with it, they will create it out of a solid piece of aluminium. Can't wait!

Now that all the welding has been done I'm thinking of painting the chassis before I put the engine back in. ... more research to be done on painting vs powder coating.

The main disadvantage of the latter is that I have to take the swing arm off... and from what I can gather that is a difficult task. Plus mine seems to be in good shape.
The main disadvantage of the former is I think the paint durability is less good...

Thoughts on that conundrum welcome.

Pics to follow.

Have a great 2020 everyone! Ride safe!

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 3 months ago #25686

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Latest pics.

I also managed to get the drive shaft out after borrowing a circlip removal tool. Good thing I did as it is incredibly messy in there, lost of grime and rust.

I will have an attempt at removing the swing arm as apparently powder coating the frame is far cheaper and better than wet painting... we'll see how I get on.

Paul

latest pics 4 years 3 months ago #25687

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Wow. Major reconstruction on the fuel tank eh? It's going to be an interesting build for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds