Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 days ago #23929

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Compression issues aside, I think you’ve made a great choice regarding paint colours for the engine covers. It looks really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 10 months ago #24351

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi all,

Apologies for long absence, the KZ project has ground to a halt a little whilst sorting the Jag took all my attention. That is running fine now, but has electrical gremlins which are foxing me.

I have taken the chassis of the KZ to my work where I have access to a welder who has agreed to ... work... on my frame.

However, before anything was done I was looking at it again and I realised that what I want may not be possible as dropping the side tubes underneath the seat may hit the carburettors!

Only one way to find out: drop engine in the frame, put the carbs on and see what is possible,

So that is the next step: Get the engine from my garage into my car, then into the frame and take it from there.

Next week I hope.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 10 months ago #24353

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Sounds like a good practice taking out a 250 pounds guy in a trunk! hahaha

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 10 months ago #24356

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have a block and tackle (and maybe somebody in mind!)! ;)

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 10 months ago #24357

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Looking forward to see the picks

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 9 months ago #24711

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi all, apologies for the long delay, the jag was not easy to shift, plus I was on holiday.

Anyway, back again and jag sold, so in the money (well... a little after clearing my credit card) so able to move the KZ project forward again.

I moved the engine to my work and am planning to drop it in the frame to see how far I can adjust it. I have also taken off the front wheel as the tyre is flat and moving the frame on a flat front without the engine is hard enough, with the engine in it it will be impossible.

Co-incidentally I had to buy a new front tire for my KZ1000. That sits on a J 18XMT 2.15 DOT rim and the tyre size is 110/90/18. So I thought to take that tyre off and stick it on the KZ1300 rim for the time being, after reading the manual which states the front is also an 18'' wheel.

But... no. the KZ1300 wheel I have is a J 19XMT 1.85 DOT... so I guess the old KZ1000 tyre won't fit. But more importantly, why do I have a larger rim? Is that original? And what tyre size should/can I put on that, or should I get another 18'' wheel to keep the bike's 'stance' correct? The current tyre on it is a 100/90/19 - not sure how that compares to the 110/90/18...

Thoughts anyone?

Paul

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds