kz1300 banner

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal!

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 weeks 5 days ago #23454

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 189

Stan will advise me again to get the valve stems ground.... I did think about that, but there was no way of knowing that that needed to be done before the stems were in the head, and the head on the block..

I would indeed! lol Well, yes, difficult to do it on a mounted cylinder head of course... :ohmy: The clearances you will end up with now will leave you not much to play with. And who knows what's happening with all those valves showing 0.00. Might be already being depressed by the shaft.

Actually it was easy to check when the cylinder head was on the bench - just install the camshafts and do the measurements. Remove camshaft, grind valves, and check again, install a shim adequate for targeted clearance. That's what the shop did on mine.

Well, I think the 200 shim is the limit if I remember correctly. The 220 you have would be a start.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 1 week 1 day ago #23587

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Golden Sixer
  • Golden Sixer
  • Thank you received: 33
Apologies for long time no update. Combination of work pressures and yet another distraction.... (I just cannot resist a good opportunity!)

I picked this up in France last weekend. Great condition, very little rust and RHD but wouldn't start, so the guy selling it had no chance to flog this in France. I picked it up for a song. Will get it running and plated/insured and then will flog it off for hopefully a bit of a profit. Proceeds to go towards the valve stems being ground and the head shimmed by Oz from Zed Parts.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 1 week 1 day ago #23588

• Bucko
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 79
A Shaguar!
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds