Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28688

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181

Kawboy wrote: And this is a prime example why I choose to be part of a Forum after retiring 12 years ago. Keeps the brain in check. So maybe a senior but not ready for seniors moments quite yet (maybe next week? ).;)

You're doing great! And Sooo many Thank You's to this forum and members!:) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28690

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
I assume the regulator is in the instrument cluster?

On my ZG1300 it is under the fuel tank iirc.
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Last edit: by Stiggy.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28692

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
As I understand it, the job of that voltage regulator is to supply a constant & stable 7 volts DC, irrespective of battery voltage, to the fuel & temperature gauges, so that the needles don't move with the constantly changing battery voltage?

That sums it up !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28702

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
2021-01-15 Kz1300 Cooling Stress Test

Been chasing an overheating problem on the KZ..

It's January, and all rides to date have been in high 50 to low 60F ambient conditions.
Weather forecast is low 80's in the south county of San Luis Obispo.
Let's go there then slog around on city streets to see what happens?

Fully prepared with AAA, health insurance, and credit cards!

I will say that after all the work, she starts instantly and sounds good at idle.

In Atascadero CA to send incorrect delivered parts back to PartZilla.

Another view.

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28703

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Something werid with charging system now. This 12.1 will pop up instantly sometimes, other times slooowly creeps back to 14.9. BTW, the voltmeter is 0.5 low.
More importantly, the temp gauge is at high end of normal zone, but over, and I'm slogging along in first gear going through town.. A good sign!

The hottest it got. I'll take that for now.
Unfortunately, had to cut the ride short as apparently my charging system is directly inversely propotional to ambient temps AND the fuel tank isn't venting
adequately.. the bike started running real rough and smell of gasoline. Opened tank cap and Whooosh... so pressure is overriding float/needle and flooding the engine.

MPG

Temps

Notes:

Charging system needs work, VDC drops below acceptable levels when hot and is intermitte
Cooling seems to be OK enough given I'll not be riding on hot days in heavy traffic anymore
Tank is building pressure when hot
Ran two tanks of heavy dosed Yamaha Ring Free

2020-12-08 Kz1300 A1 Test Ride - still overheating (IR Temp Scans) 3 years 3 months ago #28704

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

dcarver220b wrote: Charging system needs work, VDC drops below acceptable levels when hot and is intermitte

You've probably checked this already but the alternator connectors are notorious for getting a bit on corrosion on the terminals then overheating causing them to be intermittent and reducing alternator output.

Also not weird for the alternator windings be become a bit funking and when they heat up and expand they short out or open circuit.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcarver220b, Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds