• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Looking awesome!

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 5 months ago #28221

• ClintsMotorcycles
  • Thank you received: 3
Nice looking project you got going there.

Why did you decide on the M-Unit blue as opposed to the regular M-Unit? Did you mainly want the convenience of using your smart phone with it? Just curious about that.

Did you rip out all the stock wiring and replace it all, just splicing in the various sensors and whatever lights you wanted to keep? Were you able to get rid of any of those 5 relays?

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 5 months ago #28225

• Bar
  • Bar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
The decision to go with the M-Unit Blue was the smart phone feature
I left some of the original wires for the charging system but extended them to fit the new locations
and will use the original harness for the fuel injection (with modifications)
lighting system is all new wires
I will need to keep one relay for the fuel pump
maybe one more if ill go with remote start

Eran
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 5 months ago #28232

• ClintsMotorcycles
How long did it take to yank the engine out and I assume that you did it by yourself?

I am thinking about yanking my engine out as well so that I can get to all the wiring easier to remove what is no longer needed and to detail the engine. I am not going to go bonkers with it; just make sure everything is sparkling clean and polish and powder coat some of it. I am not planning on taking it apart to the bare frame. I do my own powder coating, but cannot do anything larger then will fit in a standard size oven (not the one I cook with).

I think you made a good choice with the M-Unit blue. I think I will go with that as well. The wiring on this bike is way more complicated then necessary.

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 5 months ago #28233

• Bar
  • Bar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
The engine on this bike is very heavy and hard to take out and even harder to put in.
you cannot do it by yourself unless you may be using some kind of lift that hang the engine.
to put it back in place I actually put it side way and slide the frame on top, as it was all apart it was easy, also did this with help.
If you do it just for wiring and cleaning I think you don't need to do it.
remove the gas tank, air box, injectors, radiator and pipe and you will have it mostly expose.
I also took out the trip display on the gas tank and will have the speedometer gauges mounted there, many hours of fabrication but will work.
if you keep this in, make sure you not remove any of the wiring related to that, you may need to keep the original speedometer in order for this to function, I'm not sure, didn't look into that.
the M-Unit is a smart lighting system but will not replace the charging and ignition system.
if I were you, I will stay with the original system for most part, you can still take out lots of the wiring if you remove the front fairing and boxes around the bike.
I didn't have space to keep the original as i cut the sub frame and made changes
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClintsMotorcycles

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 5 months ago #28237

• ClintsMotorcycles
I have already removed the fairing , tank, bags and bag mounts from the bike. I think what I missed, and was trying to avoid doing was to remove the upper and lower air box and the injectors. That will certainly give me more room to work on the wiring. I want to simplify the heck out of the wiring. There will be no audio system. What I do want is a speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, voltage, fuel level and neutral and directional signal lights. I like your idea of putting the gauges where the trip computer went. If all does not fit there, then I can fabricate a console that will bolt onto the handlebar risers.

While the bike starts instantly and sounds great, the previous owner must have left it under an oak tree. There are leaves, acorns and what looked like a bird or squirrel nest between the tank and the cylinder head, underneath the injectors and in both glove boxes. As a result, the engine is filthy dirty and some of the aluminum covers are pitted. To clean and polish it while it is in the bike will be difficult, but hopefully not impossible. I will try that before yanking the beast out.

Thanks for the advice.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds