Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23411

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Been on a bit of a hiatus, still on the road for work. I did get the title straightened out, so that should arrive this week. Then I'll just need to register it and put new tires on it. Can't wait!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23484

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Any tips for getting the upper airbox and carb boots back on? I futzed with it for about an hour last night and got nowhere. One of the three kept popping off either the airbox or the carb.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23485

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
they can be difficult that's for sure, I've had success using either a piece of coat hanger bent like a hook and applying pressure or also using a long shaft small bladed flat screwdriver again also applying pressure from the back side of the carb cover maybe try a bit of luberplate (white grease) along the edge of the rubbers as well.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23486

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Dielectric grease helps a lot. It still can be hard with brand new boots as they need to stretch a bit. It took me almost 3 hours getting my on! lol Quite a few times 'almost there' just to have it pop out on the other side or all three tilt and off. I found a 'system' eventually, using a few thin pieces of metal and a bunch of screw drivers and prying bars jammed so the carbs want slide back and back off, to keep them installed while working on the other side, but that's hard to describe and a long time ago. Eventually the boots expand a bit and it gets easier.

Last edit: by StanG.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23488

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Got the airbox on...wow, what a pain in the ass.

Managed to pop the right rubber on and get the right bolt in. Then used a pair of curved needlenose pliers to hook the frame on the left side and pop the two remaining ones on.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23494

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Here's what I wound up making the gasket out of...it's silicone weatherstripping that I found at Lowes. The adhesive on the back is surprisingly good and it didn't pull off even with all the pushing and pulling trying to get the airbox on.

I think it was bout $7 for a roll. I wound up pulling it apart and making the gasket out of one long piece. I just cut halfway through the outside of the strip where it needed to make a turn around a corner.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, bluefan44

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds