Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 week ago #23820

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

propav8r wrote:

Kawboy wrote: $15,500 ?? That's half the price of the Krakenhead Custom. If he gets it, you might want to rethink that value.

Huh?

On the other topic "Morning Coffee" there's a GL1100 reworked by Krakenhead Custom and it's now listed on EBay for 29500 pounds sterling. If he gets 5000 pounds he should be happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 week ago #23822

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Oh oh oh, got it. I mean it's a nice bike. It's not 30k nice.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #23913

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Burned through a rear tire already in about 2,500 miles. Whoops. Got another one installed last week, and I'll be riding it over to Montogomery, AL a the end of this week.

I should really re-route my fuel line and shutoff valve before the trip. Maybe I'll do that this evening.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #23921

• bluefan44
  • Thank you received: 4

propav8r wrote: 2,500 miles.

:ohmy:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #23985

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well I was supposed to be in Birmingham tonight. Instead I'm posting from my garage.

My visiting Swiss friend and I were packed and headed out at 7:45 this morning. Putting through town, bike gets good and warm, and then we hit the highway. Everything is going great.

For seven miles.

Just out of town, my bike started misfiring and was down on power. I was a little low on fuel, and I thought it might be vapor lock again. Pulled over to investigate.

No problems with my rerouted fuel line...so I started thinking maybe a carb got plugged.

My buddy said "what about ignition?" Hmm...it did seem to start awful abruptly. I felt the headers...1, HOT! 2, warm...3-4, HOT HOT, 5, warm 6, OUCH, Yeah that's hot!

So I whipped out the wiring diagram and sure enough, 2 and 5 work off the same coil!

We slunk back to the house and I pulled the tank off. To my chagrin, I noticed that the upper nut for the coil power was virtually touching the bolt for the bracket (remember, this bike has Accel coils on it). In fact, it looked like it was occasionally grounding out!

I loosened the clamps and resituated the coil. Test fire, we're back to all six! Tank on, hoses on, and back on the road.

By now, it's only 9:30, still plenty of time for a leisurely ride through North Georgia.

Back out of town, bike is running great.

Until it isn't.

It's like someone flipped a switch and I've lost two cylinders again! We got pulled over, and the #2 and #5 headers are cold again.

Well, I made it nine miles this time!

I sent my buddy on his way, and I turned back north for the ride of shame. Got back to the house, pulled the tank (I'm getting really good at that) and broke out the meter.

After some poking around with my meter, I discovered that my 3 ohm coil has transformed into an ∞ ohm coil.

So I called Accel to find out what the part number of the coil was so I could track down another one. After getting bounced from one department to another, a tech told me that there isn't a part number for just a coil. Wow, weird.

Went down the road to my local bike shop to see if he had anything. He didn't, but he has a lightbulb come on...

"I'm a distributor for Parts Unlimited...they have a warehouse in Hendersonville...I bet they've got something!"

He broke open the catalog, and found a single coil kit... Called them up, arranged for me to pick it up, and off I went in my truck, leaving a cloud of "THANK YOU!!"s and tire smoke in my wake.

It's about an hour and a half over to Hendersonville, and I can't pick the parts up till 3:30...

Stop for lunch, pick up my coil, and turn and burn back to Franklin...

Got home, slapped it on, and went for a 40-mile shakedown. Bike is back to flawless.

So that brings us up to speed. Hitting the hay now, planning on a 9am departure weather permitting. Fingers crossed.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #23987

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Interesting tale. Surprising that the Accel coil should fail.
Does the bike still have the coil resistors? My 1300 has Accel coils , which were on it when I bought the bike, but I don’t know if it has the resistors or not. I’ve not touched the bike since I bought it about five years ago.
Please post some photos when you get back from your latest trip.

Time to create page: 1.070 seconds