kz1300 banner

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Building an engine & a bike from random parts - 1979 - 1981

Building an engine & a bike from random parts - 1979 - 1981 2 weeks 1 day ago #26223

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 244
The head is attached. Torque in two steps and sequence (pretty obvious if not having a manual) as per manual.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
assembling engine, chassis & electrical from 79 - 89 parts
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Building an engine & a bike from random parts - 1979 - 1981 2 weeks 1 day ago #26224

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
The coolant pieces above the water pump in place, sealed, tightened. Except the top on top of the head - must still cut the gasket.

The rubber intake one is fine. The other two - must find the damn screws!!!!!! lol So, juts rest there on the engine my cookies.

This cover? Maybe. The reed valves are blocked, but since all is already in place and tight, I might use it for the 'screwed up frame' bike. But a good mock up for now.

I can't close it until I source two 240 valve shims, one 235 and one 230. THen the camshafts will go on. Anyone has them?

UPDATE: shims problem solved :) Now just waiting for arrival.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Building an engine & a bike from random parts - 1979 - 1981 17 hours 44 minutes ago #26397

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
0ne half link forward or leave it? Any thoughts? It would make the dot a bit below the mating surface. But most important is playing with valve advance. Hmm....

1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
Attachments:

Building an engine & a bike from random parts - 1979 - 1981 17 hours 21 minutes ago #26398

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
Well, did the crankshaft spin by hand and all fell right into places. The marks align perfectly on both ends, the timing is perfect! :) The modified tensioner works great. The engine turns freely and smooth.

0ne of the shims I ordered came with a small manufacturers damage, passed the quality control somehow. I'm getting a replacement and I know exactly where it's going, so it will be an easy swap. The inconvenience is I have to wait until bolting the engine cover shut.

All looks good.

If you wonder why my head is not polished and shiny, I just left any detailing for later. When the engine is all sealed from the coronavirus, hahaha, I will put a rotary tool to work and clean it up. Then spray some silver. In a way, correct mechanics were the focus of this crazy project, esthetics second. But it will come together at the end.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds