Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22124

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I just tried to view your video, link does not work (at least for me)

McBoney wrote: And then the reason I did all this: The new drive chains.

Please see my video here (and understand that when I say timing chain, I mean drive chain! :S )

vimeo.com/user90602898/review/302147659/5b7343cdf2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22128

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Apologies, my free Vimeo subscription ran out. please look here:

The video shows the incredible difference in vertical movement and 'slack' that the new chains have compared to the old ones, despite looking very similar in terms of length. Previously I could move them nearly 2 cm up and down, now hardly 1 cm!

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy, Kawboy, StanG, A1

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22130

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Thanks very nice video.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22146

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mechanical seal and oil rotor came in the post today so I re-installed the oil pump as well as the water impeller shaft.

Everything sealed with copper-based sealant and lubricated with Assembly oil (which btw is the greatest hand moisturiser ever!)

Water impeller: new and old seal:

Then re-installed the oil pan - what a difference with when it came off!

Before:

After:

Now going to the shops to find an aggressive paint stripper for the one case that needs re-doing for the 4th time! :S

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22150

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Nice progress Paul! I bet you're glad now you decided to open up the crank case yourself. It's almost done!

Is your kitchen on the same floor? If I'm not mistaken the engine is back in the garage. How did you transport it there and back?

The printed parts booklet I see you have. Which file did you printed it from? It doesn't look like the service manual. Those images look like parts list, they are nice and big.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #22153

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Stan,

I am very glad I took your and Kawboy's advice, very pleased with the result. Thank you.

Yes, kitchen is on ground floor, but three steps above garage floor level. I fashioned a trolley from an old cast iron garden table base and a wooden plank with four casters underneath. But I had to exit the garage through the front, move 40m along the pavement, back into the path to my front door, into the hallway and then into the kitchen to get to that level and avoiding the steps (I live on a hill and the pavement has a gradient).

.... and then back again when the cleaning lady came on Friday as she is thick with my wife and the story of an engine in the kitchen would have been relayed back...:pinch:

But all is well now, kitchen is clean and tidy, wife comes back Monday, I'll be in the garage again, wearing my woollies!

Yes, before I realised that this website had all the parts list etc. I bought an A4 sized parts booklet from a guy in Oz on the web. They guy did not want to sell me the files so I can't post those, but happy to send you a physical copy, just let me know.

It is not the manual, I found that line and printed that out as well - I find reading from paper easier - but I find the parts diagrams quite helpful to see what needs to go where.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds