Right, the cam chain has been changed. I know I said I'd be posting pics, but in the end I had a friend help me and it was a little ... frantic... so we did not get to it.
Ground off two pins of one link off the new chain and caught the three links that dropped out. Then did same on the old chain (using proliferous stuffing down the central hole, fearful for stuff falling in). Then wired up the new to the old chain and pulled the new one through.... easy!
Then used four hands to keep the three loose links into the four fixed ones at either end of the new chain and slotted the new link in. Then the end link pressed on with pliers (no tools!).
Once the pins were flush with the end link, used a small nut to press the pins through the end plate.
First one... pressed too hard and the thing was binding... now way to loosen, so in the end decided to grind that off again and use the second link I decided to get - just incase I screwed up (and I did, so glad I did!). Second one went on same as first but we pressed a little more cautious this time. Then when they were through and not binding we gave each pin a hard tap on the top of the pins and presto, done!
Put the cam shafts back and the tensioner and attache movie shows you the result. Tensioner went in about five clicks at first and then another three or four when I turned the engine. Attached pic is after a full turn of the engine... good alignment.
Gave the cover a new coat of paint and tomorrow it will go back together again.
Yeah, that’s the slightly worrying thing still. It’s a light ticking from the lh front top end of the engine. Almost if that particular exhaust tappet is sticking and then releasing with every turn of the cam shaft. It goes up with revs and away when warm.
But the sound that made me doubt the chain was the chain rattling against the cover and front of the engine in the overrun in second gear. That was so obviously the chain that I decided to investigate. That’s fine now although I have not ridden the bike yet .,,, this weekend I’ll do another test run.
DVLA sent my licence application back. Because it has no paperwork at all (it was an import from USA, probably ex scrap yard) I had to supply a letter from Kawasaki stating its age. Also, they could not read my cheque properly (grrr). So, got a letter, resubmitted and now waiting again.
But... excited, as today I will take it to Predator Motorsport to get its custom exhaust fitted. Yey! Once done, pics to follow. This is the last major thing on this build. It has already received its new seat (Triumph Bonneville Bobber with brushed aluminium pan, nice!)
Lastly, decided to put a racing sticker on, but to get a sticker onto a tank which curves every which way without creases is nigh impossible, so I painted the black oval and used only the number and text as a sticker. Even those I had to cut to fit crease-less.
But... I'm still not sure about it, so I may take it off.
P.s. the pic shows the seat in 'trial fitting stage' with a block of wood. It will be properly attached with a curved iron bar when I get the bike back.