Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25715

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right, swing arm is off. That took only 20 minutes!

I think I got lucky as there was no rust, which is pretty good for a bike that has stood for so long that the engine had rusted solid!

I made an even simpler tool that elsewhere on the forum and simply pushed one pin out. It helped that the engine and driveshaft were removed!

Then the swing arm fell out on its bearings (which ARE shot) and then I simply tapped out the other pin.

Easy-peasy (compared to some others on the forum)!

Off to sandblasting and powder coating the frame! :)

Paul

The LH side one after the swing arm fell out:

The tool:

The RH side one plus two bearings:
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25717

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
There ya go. More than one way to skin a cat. Ada boy !!

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25720

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Wow great simple idea took me hours :huh:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25724

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I feel dumb here... How was 'the tool' used? I just see it sitting in the cavity of the swing arm, but what did it do?

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25725

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The head of the bolt goes against the pivot. Then you turn the nut against the washer, pushing the bolt head out against the pivot, pushing it out.

At a stage I needed to insert a loose, smaller dia nut between the pivot and the bolt head as the bolt head dia was too big and pushing against the bearing/frame.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 2 months ago #25755

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just had a closer look at the engine... it was covered in metal shavings from all the welding and grinding I have done on the frame (don't worry, all the apertures were plugged and taped shut). In itself no biggie, but the bike has sat in a very damp environment for months and the shavings started to coagulate and rust. Not good! I washed the engine today and although there are a few spots where the rust has coloured the (baked!) paint, the damage is not too great.

Lesson learnt: Rusty items WILL discolour even the hardest paint.

Still awaiting the local bike shop taking the swing arm bearings out... (I could not do that myself). Then the frame and all the bits are off to the powder coater.

Received my new Benelli front wheel (which is perfect!) and Jay from KZriders will be making me a new VIN sticker :cheer:

Paul

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds