Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25406

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I did not look too closely where it came from as I had been at it for an hour already, with two hours of gardening before that so I was tired, and cold.

I did the 2000 grit polishing before I put it all together, on both the pistons as the MC barrel. I'll have a look on some of the sites I have bookmarked. However, you have my front brakes and MC I think... ;-)

I gave the guys from Hagon my weight, the bike type and weight plus the new angle, and they calculated the required pressure and max/min travel for the shocks and set them up specifically for me, so I should be OK.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25407

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I see. Seems like a good service at Hagon!

I have the calipers, but I don't think I got the front MC.

Cheers!
Stan

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25432

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Rear brake MC back on the bike, works perfectly. When the bike comes apart for painting I will order new pads.

I was trying to sit on the bike to see how I fit and came to the conclusion that really I ought to put the foot pegs further back. The pegs in the standard position cause me to curl up too much.

So I took the aluminium rear peg and exhaust supports off and fashioned a mock-up bracket to try it out. The seating position is now great, but here is what happens if you start messing with the standard design: :unsure:

Bearing in mind the centre stand is due to come off, I need the side stand... but really that now needs to move or be shorter or... ? Well... suggestions welcome!
Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25433

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Start by straightening your side stand, then find the final position for the rear-sets.
Think twice about removing the center-stand. There are simple ways of modifying it. Keep in mind a scenario such as a flat tire and how you'd remove a wheel with just a center-stand !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by scotch.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25434

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I may be jinxing it, but I have never had a flat tyre in my 30 years of bike riding, and only one or two in my cars. I will only be riding in and around London and have a good network to pick me up if I do get a flat. I'll take the risk, Including the bar holding it away from the swingarm the centre stand weighs a ton and removing it will give me more room for the exhaust pipes.

I will indeed start with straightening the side stand and then play around with the peg position. I may also use a different peg - less bulky.

If all else fails, I may look to get this one off and put another one on, a bit further forward...

All good fun! ;-)

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 4 months ago #25440

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have been looking at universal clamp-on side stands and I have decided I really don't trust them. They all seem to be too short and flimsy, and bolting onto the frame I think will not work. The bike is so heavy the clamp may just slip. Also, the clamps are all 30mm in dia and the frame dia is much larger....

anyway...

Upon further and closer examination it seems the bracket is a half-moon welded at the top and at the bottom.

That means I can easily grind those two welds off and the bracket should be eminently re-useable, which means I can move the whole thing forward about 19cm and weld it onto the frame just behind the front bottom engine mount.

And when re-welding I can slightly turn the bracket so that the stand folds closer into the bike more - even after straightening it - leaving me enough space for a new rearset foot peg/gear lever set up.

Only issue is that this can only be done when the engine is out of the frame and I was not anticipating doing that until it was fully built-up and running... which means the centre stand needs to stay - which means the exhausts cannot be fitted.... which means it won't be up and running...

.... so I may have to take the engine out once more before building it up completely.. :-(

[sigh]... did I say all good fun??? Ha!

I'll have to think about this a little.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds