Getting there Paul! The weekend is in a few short days, I'm also hoping for some time on my bike.
The shocks look similar to stock. Except the springs. I think they will look good on the bike. But why they would send one gloss and one matte puzzles me, but not unheard of suppliers mixing things up.
We are supposed to have fall just starting here but it's almost like winter! This year terrible - dark, wet and cold. Last year and years before sunny and warm. This year +13 - 15 C in daytime. And forecast to be just +6 at night on next Sunday - that's winter temperatures here!!! And I work on the bikes outside. My plans are being sabotaged by the weather. Where the hell is GL0BAL warming when you need it!?!?!
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
assembling engine, chassis & electrical from 79 - 89 parts
Instead of making new shock mounts, I dropped a weld inside the corner of the mounts and shaved the outside off sufficiently to clear the shock. Then welded both mounts in. I still need to tidy it all up and plug a few holes in the welds, but I will do that when I have the engine out and am prepping the frame for paint. For now I just need it to be fixed.
I have also asked the resident welder to weld a plate and a pin onto the bottom of the tank. That will enable me to clamp the tank in place against the frame. The front pins and rubber mounts I did last week.
I also ground off part of the ridge on the rear RH swingarm so I can get a fatter rear tyre in. I left a little bit for strength, but about 4mm came off. The biggest difference however was taking the strengthening panel that hoops around the swingarm back by about 1cm.
Next are fixing the seat brackets. For the rear I need to do some 'scrap metal skip-diving' to find two angles, and for the front I need a long piece to connect underneath the tank. Once the seat is in I can do the rear hoop, and then I hope my welding is done.
Lastly, I collected all my cut-off brackets into a bag, and also found an ignition switch amongst my pile of bits. Made Stan happy.
I tried to get a very flexible metal wire through, but it seems blocked about 15cm into the tank from the rear. I can't get any air through either, so blowing a piece of string through ain't happening.