Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 1 month 1 week ago #22347

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 176
Well, today the tire is half flat, so any doubts are no more. When the spring comes I will need a new tire.
Today I just warmed it up - I needed to hear 'the music'.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 2 weeks 3 days ago #22647

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
December 31 2018. The last ride in the year and another milestone for this bike. I just reached the 1000th mile, so now officially the 6000 rpm limit is lifted!! :)
When the weather warms up next year, I will be ready for a KZ1300 sound video. Countdown starts tomorrow!

1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.
Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 2 weeks 3 days ago #22649

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
Just to add to where the bike is now.

I haven't hooked up the fuel level sensor yet, but I have the right connector. Not in a hurry to pull the tank off to do it at the moment.
The RPM is actually at 1000, but the needle fluctuates a bit.
The temperature shown is as far as it goes - that's when the fan kicks in. Not bad. I am using a ZN sensor rated 10 degrees lower than native KZ.
The tire is still punctured but plugged. Doesn't last after all. Pump it to 42 PSI and ride it for a couple hours, seems fine, park it and next day is down to 6. A new tire arrived and I just need to remove the wheel and take it for a change - that will be in the first week of 2019. I can ride aggressively now with the plug but slow down cornering. Opening the throttle really in straight lines.
Added a bit of engine oil. Finding it difficult to exactly measure the level in this cold weather and for fact any weather. Very finicky. Looked low, added some, seem to shifting sticky.
Moisture gets easily under the dash. Gets away with hot air rising after an hour of riding.
Petcock gets stiff when engine hot - not a new story.
The seat must go down!!! Ned to pick up that cement and make it happen. The damn local Home Depot and Canadian Tired (no pun intended), don't have any!!! Just some alternatives to the proven 3M. can never find anything I need at those stores......
Oh yeah, the new tire is here! Just need to tear that rear wheel and muffler down again. Shit!
Despite cold weather, I am preparing myself to checking the valve clearances. Anyone local Vancoveritte with a space to work on this? Pain in the ass in a cold open parking lot, but if I have to, I will.

Looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this beast next year, and taking that two KZ1300 if scotch is still around!

Cheers and until the next year.
Stan
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds