TOPIC:

Radiator cap source 3 years 10 months ago #26866

• Phil
  • Phil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Well I tried the Stant 10229 radiator cap today & unfortunately it wasn't a success. I attempted to carry out the cooling system bleeding procedure but as soon as any kind of pressure was built up the cap started to leak. I did notice that the cap wasn't completely tight on it's seat when tightened fully, you could still push on one side of the cap & it would vent coolant. The outer seal isn't hard up against the underside of the cap so allows some flexibility in the seal, too much it seems, whereas the original's outer seal was actually hard up against the underside of the cap, allowing no flexing. I tried the original cap again & you can't move it at all once done up. So it's either a faulty cap or it's just not suitable. I'll try Paul's suggestion of the Gates RC135 next.
Only dead fish go with the flow
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Phil.

Radiator cap source 3 years 10 months ago #26869

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
As ever, a very honest, descriptive no bull$hit post from a UK Owner, with no need at all for "War and Peace" !! or Blah Blah Balh ;) ;)

Thanks Phil

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Radiator cap source 3 years 10 months ago #26994

• Phil
  • Phil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
2nd instalment on the alternative radiator cap ...and a self kicking moment :whistle:

I tried the Gates RC135 cap today & that leaked too as soon as any pressure was built up. I was racking my brain as to what the problem could be, then it suddenly hit me that the pipe from the radiator filler neck to the expansion tank might be blocked ...which it was. D'oh! When pressure builds it's vented into the expansion tank, but if it's got nowhere to go it'll vent from the cap instead of course. The pipe was blocked solid, I managed to blow the obstruction clear & flushed it through a couple of times. I used the Stant 10229 cap that I'd bought previously as that's rated at 13 psi (0.9 bar), the same as the original Kawasaki one. I carried out the coolant system bleeding procedure & all was good this time, no leaks from the cap & it vented the air into the expansion tank as it should, as well as drawing coolant back into the radiator as it all cooled down. So the Stant 10229 is a good alternative radiator for our bikes after all. And fellas, check your expansion tank hose for blockages! Lol.

Btw, just out of interest, the Stant & Gates caps appear to be identical in construction, even down to the "Assembled in Mexico" & "S" logo stampings, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're made on the same production line.

Only dead fish go with the flow
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko, mizztheman

Last edit: by Phil.

Radiator cap source 3 years 10 months ago #26995

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Thats great news Phil and both good finds as an alternatives !

Thanks again.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds