Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22399

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I've done this with both the Porsche 928 and a KH 500. For Canadians, there are dedicated border crossings that handle importing vehicles. In Ontario, there are 2. Niagara Falls and Sarnia. The Title (ownership) must be at the border 72 hours before the vehicle so that the US customs can search and clear the title of the vehicle to ensure that there are no liens or encumbrances against the vehicle and that the vehicle is not stolen. They are VERY STRICT about this rule. Not 65 hours or 70 hours, but a minimum of 72 hours PERIOD. If all is well they will rubber stamp the paperwork. Then you have to approach the Canadian customs with the paperwork and declare importation of the vehicle. They will look for the rubber stamped paperwork that you have had stamped by US customs and then apply whatever taxes and duties are required. You pay the required fees and they will rubber stamp the paperwork and give you a receipt for the taxes. Next will be up to you. Either get the vehicle certified or not. Then take the paperwork to the Ministry of Transport and by that I mean the US title or ownership, the taxes paid receipt and if the vehicle was inspected, the safety certificate. Ministry of transport will provide you with a Canadian ownership either Unfit As Is or Fit and Plated depending on your desires.
It is a process, but simple enough to follow. The only real issue is having the paperwork at the right border crossing 72 hours in advance and showing up at the right border crossing so best to call Canada Customs Services and find out where they process vehicles.
Cheers,
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22400

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
As far as temporary plates, the process in Texas is to show up at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), fill out a form, pay a fee (about $30 for a car, may be less for a bike), **Show Proof of Liability Insurance for the Bike**, and they give you a paper tag good for 30 days. Most states will be the same.

IF, you can get a temporary plate from Canada and take it with you, that would probably be fine with most LEOs.

That said, if the bike had plates (even expired), I'd drive it and if stopped explain I am taking it to the border for export. MOST LEOs won't bat an eye. But, they will expect you to have liability insurance.

In Texas, standard plates stay with a vehicle. So if you buy a vehicle with current plates, they remain valid until the expiry date (since the taxes have been paid). Many, but not all states are the same. Some special plates do not go with the vehicle (such as Purple Heart plates).

In most states, your existing vehicle insurance covers a new to you purchase for a certain time period (not long). That is why I can go down to the dealer and drive off 1 hour later with a car with paper plates - they just take a copy of my existing insurance.

ps. Don't drive in the US without a Motorcycle License. My cop friends tell me 50% of the motorcyclists don't have a license, so they often look for a reason to pull them over. If the reason is trivial and they have a license they just let them go. Granted an old fart on an old bike is probably not the one the cop is looking for!
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22403

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Kawboy wrote: Next will be up to you. Either get the vehicle certified or not. ......

In BC, if the bike is over 15 years old, there is no next step. No inspections required. Just go to your nearest ICBC to get a new ownership and insurance and go for a ride.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22404

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

StanG wrote: .... Could I, on a Canadian passport, get plates to ride a bike across the country?.

Maybe. You can get ICBC coverage (to pick up a vehicle) before you go so insurance is no problem The tricky part is the plates. I've know buddies that went to the us, bought a car, and drove it all the way back, from Colorado I think, to Vancouver, without plates! I've read other stories on line about guys that had to stop in every state they passed through to get temp plates (seems a bit overkill to me). When I imported my Voyager, it already had a WA state collector plate which apparently stays with the bike when it's sold (unlike BC) so I just got the ICBC coverage and drove it back. Fully legal (I guess).
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22406

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
There is no need for plates in every state. You can drive temp plates from any state across country. You can even use a set if temp plates from Canada to get it home if Canada will issue them.

KZ1300s for sale 5 years 4 months ago #22407

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Thank you guys for the input! :) It puts things into perspective. I still have to sort all out in my head as it's all new to me.

Things would be without a doubt much easier for a running bike.

Bucko:

When I imported my Voyager, it already had a WA state collector plate which apparently stays with the bike when it's sold (unlike BC) so I just got the ICBC coverage and drove it back. Fully legal (I guess).

Kawboy:

The Title (ownership) must be at the border 72 hours before the vehicle so that the US customs can search and clear the title of the vehicle to ensure that there are no liens or encumbrances against the vehicle and that the vehicle is not stolen.

How does it work then with that 72 hours Kawboy mentioned? And how do you arrange having the ownership at the border three days before the bike arrives, if the bike is 3 or 4 thousand kilometers away in another country, or be it just a few hundred? Do you pay the seller and ask him to send the papers? If you see the seller to ride or pick up the bike, how do you manage to have the papers at the border 72 hours before showing up?

Bucko:

In BC, if the bike is over 15 years old, there is no next step. No inspections required. Just go to your nearest ICBC to get a new ownership and insurance and go for a ride.

This I can confirm. My bike came from the US with ownership of the original American owner and taxes paid paper at the border by the Canadian buyer. I went to Beacon (private insurer) and they transferred ownership to me. I think this included registering the VIN in Canada as they couldn't find it. The agent had to see the VIN in person - I took her on my other bike for a
ride across the city to see it! Then, when the bike was done, I got ICBC licence plates without a problem, right on the spot. Same collector plates - less than two weeks after applying with photos, no questions asked.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds