Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21755

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

tackelhappy wrote: ...Several months after installing the kit I did a leak-down test on the cylinders. I put 100 psi of air into each, and only number 5 was losing about 2 psi into the crankcase- indicating leakage past the rings on that cylinder....

Leak down doesn't necessarily indicate a ring leak - could be a valve sealing issue.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21758

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
As I mentioned above, it's also relevant to how you use the bike. Do you like quick acceleration to the red line, or cruising at 3-4 k rpm's all day long? It's all relevant and needs a perspective. The wear might look similar when tested, but certain components at mediocre would fail in an engine taken to the max with extreme performance components, while perhaps showing similar degree of wear when tested at a certain point. I guess I am pushing the academic angle here, but it's true.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21764

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
StanG - I agree the beveled chrome is probably the best (safest) bet for general use. After all that is what the OEM picked. But non-beveled or non-chrome is probably fine - just don't expect them to have the exact same performance or longevity.

I have two bikes and am thinking about doing a supercharger on one. At that point, I'd go with the forged Wiseco pistons with the 0.8mm rings...

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21765

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

StanG - I agree the beveled chrome is probably the best (safest) bet for general use. After all that is what the OEM picked. But non-beveled or non-chrome is probably fine - just don't expect them to have the exact same performance or longevity.

I agree, that was my final take on this.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21768

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hmm, I think if it is worth doing, it is worth doing properly.

Having just spent a couple of hundred quid on two new engine chains I'd be crazy to skinflint on the piston rings!

I'm gonna ditch the Cruzinimage ones and buy the ones Stan bought - silver lining: they're in the UK, so less postage for me.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21769

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Paul, another option. If I can remember correctly, at least local Kawasaki in Canada has OEM ring sets. I didn't got for them simply because the other were cheaper, but not by much at the end. Looking back, I'd probably be buying original Kawasaki rings. I will call them and ask how much are they, and let you know.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds