• Page:

TOPIC:

Instrument Voltage reducer 1 year 8 months ago #30591

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
The rated values of the components in my instruments Voltage Reducer have changed from age and heat causing the fuel and temp. gauges to read slightly low.  A FULL tank was reading 7/8.  The Temp. was reading "cooler" then it should as determined by when the Fan came on
Couldn't adjust the fuel sending unit any further and wasn't interested in recalibrating the gauges as the trend would continue.
Attaching a voltmeter I had was easier then trying to hold probes while adjusting the output and as it turned out everything fit into the container.....so left it as is.  It tucks away neatly.
Now reads Full / Empty / Reserve correctly. Same for the Temp. gauge. 

LM2596 DC to DC Buck Converter Step Down Module, Regulator 3.0-40V to 1.5-35V Buck Converter Power Supply Module, Pack of 2   $8.99  (Amazon - free delivery))

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Neville

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Instrument Voltage reducer 1 year 8 months ago #30592

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Great info. thanks Scotch. Amazon now has the LM2596 buck converter with an included LED Display that can be switched to show input voltage or output voltage, or led display off. 2 units for $13.99/ got to like that !!

LM2596 buck converter with LED Display

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Instrument Voltage reducer 1 year 8 months ago #30593

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Good  stuff !     

NOTE from supplier:   "Some customers report that the output voltage of the module cannot be adjusted and is always equal to the input voltage. When you encounter this kind of problem, please turn the potentiometer counterclockwise for more than 10 turns, and then use the module to adjust the voltage normally
.Rotate clockwise, the voltage increases. Turning counterclockwise, the voltage decreases."

Adjust to 7 volts prior to installing or there's a risk of damaging/ruining your meters with full battery voltage.
Then adjust as required.

Last edit: by scotch.

Instrument Voltage reducer 1 year 8 months ago #30594

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Adjust to 7 volts prior to installing or there's a risk of damaging/ruining your meters with full battery voltage.

scotch wrote:

Good advice. makes sense.
Ordered the board yesterday at 3pm.yesterday. In my hands at 1 pm today. Got to love Amazon. Amazing what they stock in the warehouse and are able to deliver in 24 hours. If I was running the warehouse, do you think I'd have buck converters sitting on the shelf. Not likely. 2 days ago, I didn't even know what a "buck converter" was. Had they called it a DC to DC voltage reducer board, maybe. Learned something new yesterday. Had you asked me what a buck converter was, I would have said it was for converting Canadian bucks in to other currency.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Instrument Voltage reducer 1 year 8 months ago #30595

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
A  B.C. Buck Converter     

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, Ted

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds