TOPIC:

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26892

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi all,

I have come to the stage where I am venturing into complete new territory for me: wiring.

The existing wiring loom was completely fired and I have altered the location of many components, so I have bought the Motogadget Blue PDM to make life simpler.

The lighting circuit I (sort of) understand, but I am a bit lost on the ignition wiring.

First question: is the KZ1300 a CDI driven system? Apparently when the kill switch goes to ground it is, but I cannot see where ground is in the wiring diagram. However, I suspect it is. I have downloaded the wiring diagram suggestion Revival Cycles use and that make sense - insert a relay.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

However, question two, which wire from the Igniter goes to the relay? The Y/R one? That is the only one left as the blue, green and black ones go to the coils and the Y/BK goes to ground. But in the KZ1300 wiring it connects to the ignition.... so where would that feature on the M-Unit diagram?

Undoubtedly more questions to follow as I progress... but as and when I get the wiring done, I'll create a diagram for others to use...

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26895

• englishcw
  • Thank you received: 25
My z1300 had [ I have changed to a dyna Ignition ] the same Igntion Systen as Yours . The Revival Diagram you have shown has the Stator wires going to the CDI Unit , but on the z1300 they go to a Reg / Rec . I have just looked in the Manual , and it shows that the Kill Switch is an Open / Closed Switch , and cuts the current to the IC Ignitor . Hope this helps .

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26897

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thank you, I should have stated, mine is 1979 KZ1300 A1.

Indeed they go to a regulator, but I have fitted a Mosfet reg/rec which has the stator wires going in there....This is where the guy I bought the reg/rec from explains it... roadstercycle.com/Easy%20Mosfet%20Install.htm

If you say it is an open/closed switch then it looks like I don't need a relay...? And the red/yellow wire can be wired straight into the M-unit (which btw, simply connects or cuts the power to the OUT circuit depending on what input it gets from the switch at the IN circuit)
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26898

• englishcw
I have also fitted the Mosfet Reg / Rec . I have completely re-wired mine from scratch , with push button switches . I am Not an Electrical Wizard , so without knowing what switches , etc you are using , Not Much Help . What I did , and would reccomend , Large sheets of paper , lay out your Lighting Circuit . another with Charging System and one for the Ignition System , this would include key switch [ perhaps ] kill switch etc . . After re-wiring my bike with wires sourced from elsewhere , if I was doing it again , I would now use the Motogadget wiring Kit , and the M-button . the Manual that comes with the Kit covers nearly everythin , and off course Revival Cycles have a really good wiring diagram on line . Just looked at my Motogadget Instructions . If your Red / Yellow wire goes to the Ignitor , that will go into the Igntion Terminal on your Motogadget Output .
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by englishcw.

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26902

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
As we mentioned before , I can help you with this if you like. And the first place to start is a diagram. We need a plan . As Englishcw mentioned . As its very easy to get too far ahead , then go down the path of unintended consequences.
On that piece of paper , set out all switches and loads along with battery, starter solenoid, regulator/rectifier and ignitor. These are the only parts I used from the original bike. A drawing helps clarify in your own mind where to go , before you start.

Then collect all the parts. For instance - what handlebar switches are you using - the originals or the motogadget or something else. There are lots of choices and they are wired differently.
What gauge wire are you using will depend on the load.
How many different colours of wire do you have available - the more variety the better

If you have the battery box and placing for the m-unit worked out already, we can start with that. Getting the ignition side working first so as to get the engine running should be the priority.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney, englishcw

M-Unit Blue wiring 3 years 11 months ago #26904

• englishcw
With the Motogadget Unit , the Aux2 supplies power for a limited time after you switch power off . I believe for I Minute . And this is Me , I did not think that 1 minute was sufficient , considering how hot the engine / Radiator can get . Once the engins is Off , it becomes a big heat sink . I used a small fuse block , powered straight off the Battery Positive + terminal , with 2 x 10 Amp Fuses . These feed the two red / black wires to the Fan Relay Solenoid . The two red / black wires that feed the Fan Relay Solenoid are joined together in a 9 way connector and then one wire goes to a 10 amp fuse in the fuse block [ Original Harness ] .
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds