TOPIC:

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24765

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

Most eBay grips I see are 120mm internal length. I think our bikes are 135mm

Interesting.. I must admit I've never read anything about it and I've never held a stock original KZ1300 grip in my hand.

Just measured mine - it's internally 125 mm long and 23 mm internal diameter. It's definitely a left one, as the throttle grip would be 24 mm.
It has 'O. G. K. Japan' and 'BESTON 68-3B' markings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24770

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just got this missing throttle part :) (for the still missing right grip) I checked the diameter and it's 25 mm.

So, I think it makes sense that the internal diameters of the grips are left 23 mm and right 24 mm for a tight fit.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24773

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028

zed_thirteen wrote: Most eBay grips I see are 120mm internal length. I think our bikes are 135mm

Question for Stan please- Zed-Thirteen thinks the barrel grips need to be 135 mm in length and you have the throttle barrel in hand so will the 120 mm grips fit or are you needing 135 mm grips?

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24774

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

the barrel grips need to be 135 mm in length and you have the throttle barrel in hand so will the 120 mm grips fit or are you needing 135 mm grips?

Short answer would be 'no'. But there are a couple scenarios where it potentially would - given the grip is cut open or already open on both ends.
First - perhaps if cruise control is fitted - the grip wouldn't need to go so deep.
Second - the throttle piece came with what looks like stock plastic end plug. 0pen on both ends it would fit.

The throttle tube goes all the way in.

0riginal photo from Ebay listing - see the end plug.

What I did is I had a free 1" aftermarket grips set. As expected, the left one smaller in diameter than the throttle fitting one. And it fit my 7/8" throttle side perfectly!
It looks good and feels good, and I think I will stay with it. The left side - I will figure it out later. For now, the rubber one fits just right and protects the handlebar end well. No rush, nobody knows when this handlebar will rumble.. I will need to find a frame first (wink wink, a reminder if anyone knows.. I'll pay shipping :)).

The right electric controls were $25, the throttle tube $9, the grip $0. The controls were stuck, some wires detached. Good cleaning and soldering, now I have a new set! Not a bad deal.
Same with left controls. It took much more to rebuild them as they were in worse shape and they are more complicated. They were very affordable as well, and now I have a new set! Not a bad deal as well.
The only thing to sort out is the bottom screw - the nice stainless shiny one is just to plug the hole for now and so I can remember the thread size.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24777

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Probably relevant to this discussion.....

The Grips on my ZN1300 are about 7 inches long and I couldn't find any replacements that were more than about 5 inches (aside from some 'foamies' - grap on?? - which I'm not a big fan of). I wanted to keep the OEM bar end weights - may have been other options if that wasn't a goal. I eventually found a nice used OEM set which work OK.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Handlebar grips 4 years 8 months ago #24781

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
You don’t want grips quite as long as that throttle barrel.

1. Part of the barrel goes into the right control set

2. You need a slight gap between grip and controls so throttle does not drag

I got this cheap universal set. Resulted in a small gap 5-7mm between grip and controls. I plan on getting a throttle lock so these are perfect for me. Otherwise they would need to be 5mm longer or shorten the throttle barrel.

BTW, I gave up on fixing my left controls. Got the KZ900 repop one. No hazzards so had to use an alternate switch for those. So, not as good as original, but works fine and I don’t care about the auto-cancel.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds