Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22521

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
For us short guys out there ( I'm 5'4" ), what is the Best way to lower your KZ13 to get your feet on the ground ? Still diligently looking to purchasing one ( KZ1300 ) or look for a Voyager and stripping it down to a naked bike. I read that the Voyager's had a lower seat height ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22532

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I don't really know what to advise, but at 5'9" and actually long legs, the bike is too tall for me. I can't put both feet flat on the ground at the same time, so I am customizing a spare seat shaving off some foam.
I think best would be to sit on one or both bikes if you'd have a chance, and see how you feel about it. These are heavy bikes and for safety best is to have a solid leg support when stopped. I hope some members exactly your height will chip in what they did. But having a custom flat seat could work in my opinion. Not comfortable without all the cushion, but good for riding. I think this would work on a KZ and for sure on a Voyager.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22533

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
I am 5'10 but apparently have short legs. I want to at all cost avoid lowering the suspension as then it will start grounding, so teh only way is to somehow lower the seat.

With my 1982 KZ1000p seat on my 1300 I can only tippytoe reach the floor, so my plan is to cut the two horizontal rear strut braces and weld in a V-shaped set of tubes from where the tank connects down to the two uprights where the rear shocks are located, but in a lower position than the original two strut braces. Then I have a flat single seat that I will drop onto the two legs of the V and adjust the height with seat springs.

Well, that is the plan. It is subject to a friend who welds bikes for a living to say where that will be structurally sound, plus I have no idea what I may have to do to get the legal roadworthy paperwork (if any are required for a frame change), so this plan may change!;)

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22536

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
We've been down this road once before. The seat height on the KZ1300 is 32" and the seat height on the Voyager is 30" and quite evident when looking at the frames of the 2 bikes. There's an obvious goose neck in the Voyager frame that is not in the KZ frame.

I too am not in favor of lowering the suspension for road clearance reasons. The engine is wide and as it is makes it not a great leaner in the corners. I'm a corner carver and never had a problem eating the side tread off of the tires on my triples and also replaced a lot of foot rest rubbers from road rash. Won't come close to doing this on the KZ1300. Big heavy and under tired. Not going to push the limits. But even saying that, the thought of grounding out on a stator cover is a scary thought.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22543

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So maybe without having purchased a KZ13 yet, I should look at the Voyager as a starting point ? Then try to make the Voyager as "naked" as possible ? Do you think that the suspension would be too much different between the 2 in comparing handling ?

Last edit: by trainers.

Short Legged ? 5 years 3 months ago #22548

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I'd suggest again, sitting on the bike first and see what's possible. If no 1300's available, a local bike dealership of any make will have many bikes to sit on. I'd try those with similar 32 and 30 inches seat height and go from there. A seat can be lowered by 2 inches shaving the foam and tightening the vinyl. Many KZ1300 I see in pictures online had really lowered seats using this crude but effective method. If my choice was between having one and riding it or giving up, I'd have no dilemma.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds