Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26818

• Bar
  • Bar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Good day everyone, I am new to this forum and so far enjoy what I read.
I have a 1984 Voyager 1300 that I got 5 years ago (always want a 6 cylinder bike…)
Since I’m traveling a lot for work and had another project in my garage never got to this one.
So, the only good thing came out from this Virus, it gave me free time to focus on the new project.
The end results going to be a street fighter base on the Voyager 1300.
I started by removing all the unnecessary accessories, firings and boxes all around.
For the last few days I am working on the electrical system, removing at least half of it and as of now the bike still starts… (that’s a good thing) this model come with fuel injection so a lot of it will stay.
For the front end I have Honda CBR 954 complete, but my problem is really the rear tire
I would love to go bigger on the back and I don’t mind to do some modifications but don’t want to spend 5K on this, not looking for anything crazy like 200-300 tire but will be happy with 160-180, or as bigger as I can with minimum mods.
I see you guys building lots of nice bikes in here and any help, suggestion will be highly appreciated
Thank you all in advanced

Attachment not found

1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bar. Reason: add pic's

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26824

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi,

I am doing a similar build and have gone for a 150. That is the biggest I could fit on the standard rim and even then I had to cut a little bit off the swing arm.

Only way to go bigger is cut the wheel and weld a section in, but they are alloy, so bit tricky. And then of course fit a larger/wider swing arm.

In terms of your front end, I have had no end of issues fitting another front end on. It's done now, but just five minutes ago I went straight into another road block. Radiator cap is fouling the bottom yoke. Not sure how to fix yet.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck, I'll be watching what you get up to! ;)

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bar

Last edit: by McBoney.

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26830

• Bar
  • Bar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply,
Did your new front end is lower than the original?
The one I have from the CBR 954 is about 10cm lower.
Not sure yet what I will do with the rear...

you may need to lower the radiator to clear the yoke
I will make sure to test on my bike with the radiator on

Eran
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26831

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Good luck with the Voyager. They don't have much going for them these days , they are difficult to modify , but they have the right motor

This bike was done quite a number of years ago, and it was a big project.. Probably not what you are looking to do -ideas maybe.

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26834

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

Bar wrote: Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply,
Did your new front end is lower than the original?
The one I have from the CBR 954 is about 10cm lower.

Eran

I specifically looked for a front end that had the same dimensions as I did not want to lower the bike. It is already difficult to turn/lean and the advice on the forum is not to mess with the ride height. I also wanted a USD set of forks. Only one I could find that conformed to those requirements was from a Benelli Tre K and that one is 2 cm longer, so I have something to play with. But I decided to keep the KZ steering pin, so had to find a way to insert that pin into the Benelli bottom yoke. Then I decided to make my life easier by also adopting the front wheel and brake set up from that bike, so that all first nicely. But obviously I now have to solve the radiator issue.

Tackelhappy; awesome exhaust! Where from did you get that? I'm still deciding on what to do with mine and this has now become a contender!
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

From 1984 Voyager to a street fighter 3 years 10 months ago #26842

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I fitted a ZZR1100 (you guys over there call it the ZX-11) front end to mine, it looks like whoever built that red one wit the 6 megaphones did the same as I recognise the clocks too . On the subject of fork length they were a good 4 inches shorter than the originals so I had some sleeves machined up in steel to lengthen them. And on the subject of the bottom yoke fouling the radiator cap McBoney I had to have a small section machined out of my machined from ally billet bottom yoke becasue of the same. Although that's just got me thinking because it was machined to clear the original cap, which aren't available anymore & I've just bought an alternative one which is a different shape to the original & have yet to try it. Bugger :pinch: Rear wheel widening I got mine done by a fella in Germany about 20 years ago, it takes a 180 section tyre. Modifications to the swing arm were needed too, but they weren't that extreme. I know Kosman over there in the States provide a motorcycle wheel widening service but a friend who lives there had some done for his KZ1300 & he wasn't very pleased with the quality.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds