Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25435

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Another piece done and ready :) This is not the master cylinder which is still on the bike, but a spare one. I might use it or keep it for the future. The one on the bike works great so it should be just fine after checking it and servicing. Either way, this one will eventually be on a running bike.

I 'honed' the bore with metal polish, then oil, and a 2000 grid paper for wet application. Looks good! The seals looking good as well, so after some time in my ultrasonic cleaner, detailing, polishing and painting, this master cylinder is looking good and ready to brake!

Stainless Allen bolts might come later, but in the meantime I like the stock. I also really like the black body and shiny lid theme. The lid got chrome plated on my first bike, but on this it will be just polished aluminum.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25436

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
This is literally a gift from heavens. I got a bunch of parts for free a while ago from a member who did a full rebuild of his bike, and I truly cherish them! Please, don't be jealous ;)

I gave these ears a fresh coat of paint and they look new. The rest is also in a great shape. I am going to replicate the rings at one point! All these parts are hard to come by. They will go on this bike but at one point I am going to make a switch with what I have on my first bike - it has a pair of aftermarket ears and I want it completely stock.

Attachments:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25437

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Working on two coolant tanks. Right - cover painted black and like new. Left - still just sand blasted and I think I will treat it for chrome plating. These cover are easy to switch, will be good to have one each for different looks.

The brittle areas are being cut out and covered with fresh clear polycarbonate, bonded with JB Weld. It works great! I have done that on my first bike and no problems. As expected. Having a real clear plastic in the view window is great as well for change - you can truly see the level and color of the coolant.

So yes, it's simple. I will have these two pairs ready in no time and minimal effort. Another piece on the shelf of parts to mount on the bike, when the frame is ready.

Attachments:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25446

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The fix is done. THe right one ready for a bike, but I will chrome plate the other cover and use it instead of black.

The battery tray with the electronics has been ready for months now. Time to make it official. All bolts replaced with stainless. Ready to go on the bike when the frame is ready.
And I also already have a battery. Fully charged!

Attachments:

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25447

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Nice work, Stan. I like your system of refurbishing the components before the rebuild commences. I remember you suggested I should do that with my bike.
How does the old age of these bikes affect the wiring? Does the plastic insulation become brittle?

1981 KZ1300 A3 make over 4 years 4 months ago #25449

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Jim, glad to hear from you again after a very long silcence! I did miss our frequent exchange.

Wiring - this bike had almost none left. Totally neutered. Shame is one word that would describe it best, the 1300 considering the way it was done.

0verall, old wiring insulation becomes hard. But it stays solid. Connectors - become brittle and disintegrate. I need to identify exactly what have been used for the 1300 and buy a bunch of new replacements. In the meantime, ultrasonic bath makes many of them beautifully clean and great looking on the outside. The electrical takes surely unwrap and you need to remove them. Use new tape or in this age, use heat shrink wrap when possible.

Just to mentin again, the original aftermarket fork ears mounted on my A4 are a gift from you! Big thanks again Jim. I've done over 3000 km on the bike, and that was possible partially thanks to your assistance.

Sometimes I feel stupid reading about people being extremely lucky buying these bikes, in great shapa, for a 1000
dollars or two! In 'America'. Teh money and the help got on building mine had been bottomless. And this one, with brackets missing, the complications, original parts.. - I am in another nightmare. In a way worse than the firt one. Actually, much worse. But it feels easier, and I know that's thanks to accumulTING and step by step reconditioning parts for the anticipated build. All in my 600+ square feet place. At this point, I see it as no problem. Great practie again, in organizing, sharp mind, efficiency and integrity. Should I put it on my resume? hahaha Nope, the high rollers get their high paid positions by different means here. Number one - connections.

I think the connectors are sold at zed-parts. Will report back when I get an order.

Cheers!
Stan

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds