Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23502

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Smart idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23506

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
My choke seems to be exceedingly touchy. Every time I try to start it with full choke (ambient temp is about 55*F), the bike floods. If I let it sit a few hours and try again with the choke about 1/3-1/4 of the way up it's travel, it starts right up. Is this normal operation?

My understanding of Scotch's choke air mod is that it would make the mixture richer when the choke is activated. Is that incorrect?

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23510

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
The choke Mod. effectively does "richen" the start fuel. That's the reason it works. It provides adequate fuel to start. There is a Learning Curve with this mod.

The answer over-all is simple. Learn what ever the Start/Choke technique is for your particular bike and forget what you may think is "normal" and ignore what others state "It Should Be" ! :)
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: propav8r

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23513

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

scotch wrote: The choke Mod. effectively does "richen" the start fuel. That's the reason it works. It provides adequate fuel to start. There is a Learning Curve with this mod.

The answer over-all is simple. Learn what ever the Start/Choke technique is for your particular bike and forget what you may think is "normal" and ignore what others state "It Should Be" ! :)

Fair enough. I'll just be careful with the choke on mine then, and avoid full choke.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23544

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Took it out for a nice ride on the backroads near my house last night. Not tagged yet, and the plan was to just pop over to the gas station and fill up, but you know how that goes.

I'm really going to enjoy this thing. Turbine smooth, gobs of power, everything just works right like it should!

I did have some trouble finding neutral, but I think that's just because my clutch cable is too loose. I have quite a bit of free play before it starts to disengage the clutch.

I am wondering about the fuel tank vent though...the vent hose from the cap to under the bike is clear, the vent passage through the cap is clear, but it's still pushing pressure out the keyhole and main seal when the fuel starts to warm up and expand. Maybe it's the internal o-rings around the lock cylinders being dried out?

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 1 month ago #23546

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
check that the nipple on the gas cap isn't pinching the O-ring on the top of the tank that can sometimes cause a problem

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds