Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #24000

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Left out yesterday morning and made it the 500-ish miles down to Montgomery without issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #24016

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I was going to post up a bunch of photos, but ran up against the embed limit. I'll prune them down a bit later.

In the meantime, I did make it home just fine. I did experience vapor lock once on the way back, after about 60 miles on the interstate running 7-=75mph. I had about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank.

Before I left, I rerouted my fuel lines and swapped to a different filter in hopes it that it would help. I also got some of the hose insulator stuff which you see in the second picture. It helped a bit (maybe) but didn't remedy the problem.

The fuel line comes off the petcock, down between the #2 and #3 intake runners, into the secondary shutoff valve, loops down under the PCV hose, up into a 5/16" Randaak filter, and then into the carbs. The fuel inlet tee is turned down at a slight angle.

I think the main problem is the path of the line. That inverted U is probably where my problems are coming from, but I have to do it that way to get the filter and shutoff valve inline.

The first picture below is actually from before I added the insulateion, and you can see the air bubble in the line.,

I think I'm about done trying to make this all work. I'm just going to buy a Pingel tap and route the line as much of a straight shot as I can get it.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 11 months ago #24054

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ordered my Pingel tap and adapter today. Hopefully I'll have that by early next week and it remedies my fuel supply issues. Guess we'll see.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 10 months ago #24304

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Been gone for a few weeks, but that's just because I don't have much to report. Put the Pingel tap on, and that cured my vapor lock issues, and allowed me to clean up the fuel plumbing significantly. The bike is running incredibly well, and I actually managed to return a 38mpg tank last week!

Last weekend, I took it down to Two Wheels of Suches for the Japanese Legends weekend. Had a blast, met some great folks, and a couple tried to buy the bike B)

Changed the oil once, and it's time for another set of tires. The rear has a bit of life left in it, but the front is close, if not on, the wear bars. We're at about 5,000 miles since the resurrection, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Next up for the bike is a trip I've wanted to do for awhile. Growing up in NC, I heard the phrase "Murphy to Manteo" a lot as a euphemism for something that affected the whole state. US Highway 64 runs that route from the western tip to the Outer Banks, 563 miles according to the sign at the state line.

A friend and I mapped out the original route of the highway and will be riding that over the course of a couple leisurely days.this week and next.The alignment of the highway has changed significantly over the years to bypass a lot of small towns and cities. We're taking the original route as it was (or as close as possible, since some sections are now completely abandoned or under man-made lakes) in 1932.

Camping three nights on the way to the beach, then riding down the Outer Banks to Ocracoke and taking the ferry back to the mainland. All in all, it'll be ten days on the road. I'll break off from my friend on Wednesday the 5th and link up with my wife for a few nights on the beach and the ride back home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 10 months ago #24305

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
So pleased that you are continuing with your posts on here. Always interesting, and much appreciated. Your evident enjoyment of the KZ is inspiring. Your next voyage sounds like it will be an adventure!
Has your wife ridden on the bike yet?
Please post more photos of the bike - I ,for one, never tire of seeing it, especially when there is a different beautiful background each time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: propav8r

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 4 years 10 months ago #24308

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

biltonjim wrote: So pleased that you are continuing with your posts on here. Always interesting, and much appreciated. Your evident enjoyment of the KZ is inspiring. Your next voyage sounds like it will be an adventure!
Has your wife ridden on the bike yet?
Please post more photos of the bike - I ,for one, never tire of seeing it, especially when there is a different beautiful background each time!

I will...nothing new of note. I had it lined up beside a twin shock CBX and a pro-link CBX at the show last weekend and completely forgot to snap a picture. I'll document the trip though.

My wife doesn't ride. She used to ride dirt, but we have a toddler at home, and she's decided not to ride until the kiddo grows up a bit.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds