Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26823

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Shit!

Radiator cap is fouling the bottom yoke when turning left.

Hpmf!

What now?:unsure:
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26825

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Can you lower your rad mounting to clear the obstruction?
Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26829

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
That’s weird, the yoke was there before
Unless the new one is much wider
maybe you will need to move the radiator down
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26832

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
You could try a different rad. I tried one from a zx11 ( I think ) many years ago. The filler cap is on the extreme right. But then it's install raises lots of other packaging issues . Just ideas.

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26833

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I discovered this last night at 00.30 so went to bed. I'll have a closer look today. Moving down the radiator will make the radiator hose connections difficult, but maybe I can create a few extra mm's enough to make it clear. I still need to put turn stops on the yoke anyway... I might even cut the edge off the cap or something.

I like the alternative rad (and the exhaust!) Tackelhappy, but as you say, other connections will become an issue...

I'll find a solution. I just need to have a closer look and a think. (these btw are the fun bits of a bespoke build! - or so they say!):P

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26843

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think I have found a solution.

I have cut off one half of the rubber ring that mounts the radiator at the top so it sits closer to the frame, and I cut off a small section of the radiator cap where it was fouling (without obviously interfering with the function of the cap!) and together these measures were enough to get a decent turning circle. However, if I turn too much, it still touches though, so now I need to insert/create some turning bump stops on the bottom yoke to prevent the handles from going into the tank and the radiator cap still being fouled.

In itself not a big deal, but.... the entire front end has to be disassembled to be able to drill and tap two holes in the yoke where the stops need to go.

Ugh! Fifth time it comes apart in the space of a week! :angry: :pinch:

The other danger of course is that the more I bolt/unbolt stuff, I damage threads. I have already had to tap one out to a bigger size...

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds