Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21516

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
LOL It crossed my mind Kawboy. The photo reminded me of the 70's! A fun fact in my case is, while everyone around had such platforms and long hair, I was the only one who didn't! I've always liked flat shoes and always had short hair. Same with pants - I've always liked slim instead of those bell bottoms. Definitely I was ahead of time! B) I have a lot of experience swimming against the current, hahaha

I've started on reshaping the seat foam. It's in not a bad shape, so I will work with it. I'm wondering what type of glue is used for upholstery.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21520

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Oh Stan, you REALLY missed the boat. I used to buy my platform boots from Master John's on Yonge St in Toronto. Hair more than half way down my back, velvet pants and silk floral patterned shirts. Disco boogie, I was a happening thing !! 5ft 10 in bare feet, 6ft 3 with my boots on. My only saving grace, tattoos were things that came out of the war effort and the only things that got pierced were cloth diapers.
That's your smile for the day
KB over and out

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 6 months ago #21523

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I forgot to mention that my favorite color was black. Sooo ahead of time! lol I jumped grades so everyone was 2 years older than me and hated me even more because I was at the top of the class in 3 months. And I was the only one not attending Sunday church. They threw stones at me shouting 'Antichrist!' obscenities. After years I realized that I was more Christ like than them. A badge of honor. It was hard times for me in a way, and I missed the sexy 70's girls boat for sure! Not that I haven't made up the loss later (wink wink).

I am 5 -9. In Japan I was a 'tall guy'. Makes me wonder what they were thinking at Kawaski making this bike so high off the ground! 90% of the man I had met were shorter than me. And I have long legs. Seems like the KZ1300 was designed for rider of at least 6 feet tall, and that's a really rare breed in Japan. Maybe these bikes were really targeting the 'Western' market?

Growing up in Poland, tattoos were connected to German Nazi concentration camps and criminals. I have zero admiration for ink. I can't imagine putting something so superficially permanent on my body. Its like signing a testament to rejecting change and growth. Art is to admire and move on. It's a process, philosophy. It can't be taken like a cheap souvenir. Permanency is in the soul, not in the jacket we wear.

Diapers. Yesss!! Hahaha My mother had a big huge pot to boil them. Then starch, the old style mechanical press and hanging outside. I've been through all that, watching my 6 years younger sister growing up. And all the bed sheets were like metal sheets after all the boiling, starch, and pressing!!

I am out in BC now as well. Although it's early in comparison, at 9 pm.
S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 4 months ago #22333

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
It's been quite a while since my last post here. Not many updates, the bike has been sitting for about 3 weeks since mid November - flat tire. I ordered a Stop and Go tire repair kit and it's awesome. It comes with all the needed tools for the job, including a mini air compressor! All in a nice compact pouch.

Today I finally plugged the hole in the tire. It seems to be holding up pretty good - I can't hear a trace of air leaking.

Two weeks ago I cranked the engine and it worked well, as always. Warmed it up and shut down. Today, after about 2 weeks of sitting in the cold weather, with the tire pumped up, I had to take it for a spin! We had below zero temperatures at night, and in the evening when I got to cranking the engine, about +4C. I checked the battery - green light! Holding up like a champ! Turned the key and pressed 'run' - 2 seconds, stop, 2 seconds, then... boom!!! :cheer: Just like if it has never been resting.

It took quite longer to warm it up because of the 'lay off' time and low temperatures, but within 10 or so minutes it was back to normal without the choke. I'm very pleased indeed. I let it run until the fan kicked in and turned it off to collect all the tools. Started up again, instantaneously, and took it for a spin - back and forth inside the garage! LOL I think I put maybe 100 meters on the clock and parked it back in the spot. I'm going to check tomorrow on the tire and see how it's holding up. Fingers crossed, all will be good and on a sunny day I will take it around the block.

Since the rains might be coming, and I am not going to buy a new tire now, I might cancel the plates and have it wait the winter out until spring. I can still take it for a spin in the garage and the back lane. I just need to check the logistics with insurance, as I will have to apply again for collector plates and I am not sure if I'd need to register it with regular insurance first. And that's expensive. Then add the cancellation penalty fee. So, depending on what I find out, it actually might not be more expensive to just keep the plates even if not riding. I'm paying about $32 a month for collector plates. My regular insurance is about $140 a month for another bike, that's with 43% discount. But the rates already came up, and they do every year once or even twice, and it would be about $160 now. Who knows how much more next year! SO it might be easier and cheaper just to keep things as they are.

Pumping up the tire before trimming the plug. The puncture is in a bad spot, as the tire is not as thick inside the thread.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 4 months ago #22335

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I've noticed this thread has 999 replies, so I'm posting just to claim the '1000'th!!!! :woohoo: B) :cheer:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 5 years 4 months ago #22338

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just checked the tire today - holding up great! :) Just need some sunshine and the rain to stop.

Time to create page: 0.760 seconds