Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 11 months ago #24152

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Yes Paul, the Vmax horn sounds like a mosquito! I already mounted the Denali, just need to connect. I think it's vital to have it!

I already eyed the KZ1300 for a place to mount one. Not easy! But I will get it done. I am thinking making a bracket attached to where the two threaded holes are on the frame behind the radiator. And pair it with a couple of small air scoops to direct more air into it (the radiator that is)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 11 months ago #24169

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The Denali air horn works great! Still on a simple crude bracket, I will cut the corners later. I recommend it!

I think I am leaving the KZ as is now, as actually the current horn is quite loud. Not as much as Denali, but I think enough.

Installed the side grab handle. (thank you Paul, McBoney!) I had to remove the useless stock helmet lock, but keeping it in a drawer for originality when needed. And it was truly useless - there is no way to use it to lock a modern helmet. This handle looks cool, and is helpful.

I was going to make my own passenger grab rail, but still without a good pipe bending gadget and no welding machine, I just gave in and ordered it from the UK. From John, who was suggested a few months ago as a good fabricator who has been specializing in making them. It will be a useful addition, especially for the passenger to have something to hold on to - just in case. The seat is quite slick, and I understand the worry of sliding back. The grab rail will also look good on the bike.
Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 10 months ago #24299

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I just installed the passenger grab rail. The bike looks great! And it will be easier to strap any luggage. Also better when riding with a passenger.

I have a handle for lifting when putting the bike on center stand installed (taken off a 1979), and I had to flip it so the passenger rail could fit. Also, the original A4 helmet lock is off at the moment as it was useless - way too light to lock any modern helmet. I installed a helmet lock from another model (a 1979) on the right side. It worked well, but I had to remove it to fit the grab rail. I will be installing back the original one, fitting nest to the left rear shock, I just don't remember now if it fits with the handle.

Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 10 months ago #24306

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
It looks good with both lifting handle and grab rail, Stan. You’ve done such a great job in restoring that bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 10 months ago #24309

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

It looks good with both lifting handle and grab rail

It's a bit tight though with the grab rail to get a good full grip. At the same time I am not sure if the grab rail is strong enough to use it when putting the bike on center sand - which I still have problems with anyway (my bad knee and must watch my back). But yeah, it looks fancy, I like it.

The bike will be at the local vintage bike show at the end of June. I have no idea how it works, as all they did is put my name down over the phone and told me to come an hour earlier to pay the $10 fee. I am not expecting anything else than having the bike parked perhaps in the parking lot with the entry number and that's all. I'm not preparing any printed display with info, but will see. It will be good just to see the bike there and people look at it.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 4 years 8 months ago #24789

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Spruced up with this handlebar crossbar. Nice red accent to my overall black theme.

And the odometer almost hits it's first 10k :) I'm not putting a lot miles on the bike, but I am almost 1000 miles past the brake in distance. I think it will be somewhat fully broken in at 20k.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds