Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25962

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Stan, I was simply trial fitting the race into the smaller diameter of the pin - it does not fit. Neither of them on either pin. Even with some gentle tapping, they won't slide onto the pin and that made me nervous for final assembly. Please see the pic as to what is happening more accurately.

Anyway, thank you all for confirming the pins need to move relatively easily. I shall work on that first.

I will take the pins out again and hone the holes in the frame so they slide in more easily and are 'free' to enable final adjustment. Currently the adjustment screw will not budge them.Then I might polish the smaller diameter of the pins a little to see if the bearing races will slide on. I may have flattened those ends when pushing the pins out initially. I may been try freezing one of them to see if that makes a difference.

I want the whole thing to go together with minimal force.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25963

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Could be the pin mushroomed when removing it? I'd be surprised though, especially that you didn't use direct banging on it when removing.
Hmm... kind of strange case you have there on your hands, as bearings are made to the specifics of the pins.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25964

• Jorgeno
  • Thank you received: 11
You have wrong bearings or your swing arm pin is slightly damaged.

It’s supposed to be a nice fitting
ZG1300-6 86
ZN1300 86
GS1000G 82

Last edit: by Jorgeno.

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25965

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think you are right, they must be damaged/mushroomed.

I will see if I can polish/sand them a little at the edge and see what happens.

Paul

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25966

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

StanG wrote: Could be the pin mushroomed when removing it? I'd be surprised though, especially that you didn't use direct banging on it when removing.
Hmm... kind of strange case you have there on your hands, as bearings are made to the specifics of the pins.

How did you come up with this Stan? Bearings are a nominal size and shafts, journals are made to fit the bearing. Based on required fit, be it sliding, light press or interference fit, the journals and shafts are made to the fit standard. You should never have to question the "size" of a bearing when it doesn't fit properly. You always question the item the bearing is fitted to.

For Paul- You need to "fix" this problem with a file and watch for the witness marks as you file. This is easier done with the use of a felt marker or machinist bluing if you have it. If it is mushroomed the file will start taking down the raised area and the marker or bluing will tell you when the mushroom is gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

swing arm installation 4 years 2 months ago #25967

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just using my fingernail it seems to catch at the end so I suspect mushrooming has taken place. Maybe that took place when the bike was running and they were adjusted too tight, as the way I pressed them out, there was no 'banging of hammers' involved...

I shall use a marker pen and I'll report back.

Cheers
Paul

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds