Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22650

• Daro
  • Daro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Stan yeah the idea with socket is good, i used it to remove the water pump seal out of its housing. I have checked rear wheel bearing, at first glance it looked ok but when i looked at it again i saw some play on it so that has got to go. Swing arm bearing looks ok, i already put everything back in the bike, oh and the oil from the final gear case... oh boy as i turn it around couple of times it started to flow out of the venting hole, at first i didn't see and so it was too late, everything was covered in it. What tires you have on you bike ? I was thinking about Michelin Pilot Active.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22662

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hi Daro,

Same thing happened to me with the 'pumpkin'! What a mess indeed if you don't catch it in time...
I used Avon tires. I asked in multiple clubs on facebook about tire choices, and there were two prominent runners up: Avon Roadrider and Bridgestone Battlax. I went with Avon.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daro

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22667

• Daro
  • Daro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Yeah Stan, thanks for the tire info. Today if you want to buy something, there are so many options on the marked available that often you just cant decide. Any ways i thing Avon is a good option apart of the Michelin tires and they are both from the same price sector, i got few days to decide so ill read a bit and see.
Cheers Daro.

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22669

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The too many option is a curse to me, haha Not just tires, pretty much everything you touch. I couldn't count how many times I went shopping and ended up just leaving the store frustrated and empty handed. Often because they have a wall of shelves full of products with very confusing meaningless names and I can't find what I am looking for - a simple straight forward solution!

With tires I spent quite a long time trying to pin point what to decide on. Lots of reviews reading. It was important to me to hear that the tires were good in wet conditions. I also prefer the front and rear tire to have the same thread patters, so best is they are the same model. I also never want to increase the wall height, and if looking for alternative size, I stay with the same rim size and try not to change the new tire speeds too much (stay as close to the original diameter as much as I can). The speeds - the suggested V rating can be replaced with H no problem. There is no problem bringing the bike up to the V rated speeds for a very short time, and that's all we usually do. Unless someone want to be on Germany's autobahn at top speeds for hours, or racing. Other than that, H rating is perfectly OK. Same weigh ratings - they can be a bit lower as in real life the rated weight doesn't sit right on that tire but is divided through the frame. I often read what motorcycle people use with certain tires, that confirms there is no problem.

Here is a tire size calculator with speed and mileage changes. Very interesting read especially doing the side by side comparisons.

>>>>> www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Let me know what you end up with!

STan

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22681

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

Daro wrote: Swing arm bearing looks ok

How does one check that bearing?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Swing arm pivot shaft removal tool 5 years 3 months ago #22683

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I'd suggest changing the bearing no matter how they look. They come as a set with seals and are very cheap by comparison to anything else in term of parts. The seals should be changed anyway. When will be the next time removing a swing arm? Twenty years from now? I'd just do it and have a peace of mind for years to come knowing that this part is solid. Good investment. I bought a set made by All Balls. I think around CAN $20.

When you look at the bearing there might be darker spots where the bearing was sitting, as they don't rotate all the way. After cleaning, it is possible to feel the surface not perfectly smooth. Maybe not for everyone. Ask the wife with delicate fingers! haha But I'd just change them automatically without second guessing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds