Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22289

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Wow, both bikes are looking fabulous!

I especially like the little viewing window on the clutch cover of Phil's bike... very neat!

Thanks Kawboy for the heads-up on the Haya forks as those were exactly what I was looking at. If the headstock is relatively easy to adapt, that is what I'll go for.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22292

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

McBoney wrote: Then there is also the question of finding shocks that can 'withstand' the weight of the KZ... anyway, lots of things to think about.Paul

Not shocks per se, but when ordering new front end springs for my CB900F, I was surprised to learn the Progressive brand replacements are the same for the 900F, KZ1300 and even the ZN1300 which weighs almost 400 pounds more than the 900 :woohoo:
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, McBoney

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22295

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
If I focus on a Hayabusa front end, then your saying that the "stock" inner fork tubes off the Busa need to be longer ?

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22299

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

trainers wrote: If I focus on a Hayabusa front end, then your saying that the "stock" inner fork tubes off the Busa need to be longer ?

yes. You can get different length Hayabusa fork extension tubes through internet sources.

I considered this because I wanted better braking. You would also need to have bar risers to take stock Z13 bars and fabricate brackets for clocks and idiot lights - or replace them with alternatives..
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22305

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Phil, Can you tell me about your Build ?

Different front end ? 5 years 4 months ago #22315

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

trainers wrote: Phil, Can you tell me about your Build ?

Sure, the front end as previously mentioned is from a ZZR1100 with billet alloy top & bottom yokes with Pretech 6-pot calipers & aftermarket wavey discs. The fork internals were re-valved by Maxton to take into account the extra weight of a Z1300 over the ZZR1100. The front mudguard is from a GSXR1100 which has then been further cut down. The single integrated analogue & digital speedo / tacho / fuel gauge / temp. gauge instrument is from Acewell. Keyless ignition. Handlebars are Renthall "Streetfighter" with switchgear again, from a ZZR1100. The headlight is two Hella driving lamps, one stacked above the other, mounted on custom laser cut stainless brackets. The bellypan is a universal one which has been trimmed to fit. The radiator guard was custom made in stainless. Dyna coils with Taylor silicone leads. The fuel tank has had the badge pedestals removed & an aircraft flush-type filler installed with the tank breather re-positioned in front of the filler cap. The rear wheel has been widened to accommodate a 180-section tyre, it's also had it's diameter increased from 17" to 18" to keep the same rolling circumference of the original tyre, as modern tyres are of a lower profile. The swingarm is a JMC braced box-section alloy unit that has been machined to clear the wider rear tyre. One-off wavey rear disc. Ohlins rear shocks. A section of the frame rearward of the shock top mounts has been modified to fit the one-piece seat unit, a modified Ducati 916 item with a frenched-in LED strip rear light. The side panels were modified & stainless flutes were installed to simulate vents. Tarozzi rear sets with one-off foot pegs. Clutch window with anodised gold clutch basket. Open airbox with standard shape K&N airfilter element. Aftermarket fuel pump & adjustable fuel pressure regulator valve. Mosfet regulator/rectifier. Physically smaller Motobatt battery (still manages to have the same CCA as the lead-acid original) to accommodate the narrower bodywork + other electrics re-located. Custom made LED turn signals. Custom made full stainless 6 into 2 exhaust system with balance pipe & stubby Yoshimura race mufflers. Paintwork inspired by American muscle cars of the 60s / 70s.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Last edit: by Phil.
Time to create page: 1.335 seconds