Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22077

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
So, I went downstairs to take the bike for a spin an the rear tire was flat. Moved it and there it is - a screw. It can't be a big nasty leak as it was fine when I parked it and it took some time to drain from air.

There are many mixed opinions by the 'keyboard experts', especially on facebook, about fixing these or not. This is a brand new tire by the way, I am definitely looking for a plug kit for fixing these. Last one like this was 25 years ago!!!

With many options out there, could you guys recommend a current good, best, the bestest (LOL) proven for you product?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22082

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I've not plugged a bike tire, so take this with a grain of salt. I do regularly plug tires - everything from the wife's daily to my Freightliner.

I use the rope style plugs and the standard tools. One that 'cleans' the hole, one to insert the plug.

If you buy a kit, spend the extra couple of bucks to get the decent tools as the cheap ones are not worth the aggravation.

Brush any dirt off the repair area first so you don't push dirt into the hole.

Use the rasp type tool to clean the hole well and determine the angle it goes in at. You often need to have air in the tire to get the plug in, so if it leaks fast, I just lock the air check on the tire and keep inflating it while working on it (dial back you airline pressure to something reasonable like 30psi).

Lather the plug well with rubber cement. Insert it, and then pull out most of it. Try to leave 1/4" to 1/2" inside the tire (best guess). Cut the excess on the outside short. No more than 1/8" or so protruding.

I've never had any issues driving on it immediately, but it would not hurt to give the rubber cement time to cure.

Personally, I would plug that. But as I said, never done a MC tire.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22084

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
A quick search - Several Motorcycle Magazines have had articles about this with quotes from a number of M/C Tire Manufactures.
Para-phrasing: "'Plugs" can be used.as a temporary fix to get you to a tire repair shop. Recommended max. speed on this temp.repair - 80KPH.
If the tire has a "V" rating - that rating should be considered no longer applicable.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22088

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I will shop around. Yesterday I went to Kawasaki dealership and imagine, they don't have any kits for this in stock!!!!!
And I guess I need to buy now an air compressor? Can I do it with a bicycle tire pump? What a bad luck.... Always working against the wind with this Kawasaki....

Last edit: by StanG.

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22091

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Here is a good relevant video

The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Fixing a flat tire - what's your good kit? 5 years 5 months ago #22092

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
The only way to be 100% sure its safe is to scrap the tyre and buy new one............= piece of mind and not having to THINK about it everytime you ride ?

Alternatively use a good plug system (Google Tip top tyre repair) but ONLY as a temporary measure..........not a permanent measure.

I would not be able to enjoy riding 1/3 of a ton of motorcycle on a tyre that had been repaired..........but thats just me.

I would do it on a CAR tyre as you have another 3 to compensate if all else fails................but just imagine the implications of it failing on a bike......... ??
COST versus PIECE OF MIND and SAFETY.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds