Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23436

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I just spent a couple hours making a list. I will post it later for reference.

INCLUDING - all from cleaning solvents, parts, stainless bolts, machine shop fees, rentals, trips, fuel expenses, all parts and rebuilt kits, chrome plating, sand blasting, powder coating etc. + the paint job done at almost at no cost by a bike friend.
NOT INCLUDING - hours spent, ultrasonic cleaner and purchased tools cost, and without the cost of the paint job done by a friend.

I am sure I missed a few small things, but I am also left with a few spare parts because I had to purchase some desired items as part in a bundle.
I counted all not to a penny, but roughly accurate. For example, prices in Canadian dollars I rounded up to US dollars instead of calculating taxes. Let's say that would give a correction of about US $ 1000 credit.

So, not counting small dollars, the total in cash spent on this resurrection is roughly pretty close to US $10,200. That is about 13,500 Canadian dollars or 7700 pounds (including bike purchase cost CD $800)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluefan44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23437

• bluefan44
  • Thank you received: 4
That actually doesn't seem too bad for getting a "brand new antique" bike out of it. Not to mention the sheer beauty of the the bike after all of this work. Your dedication is inspiring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23439

• mlyle11
  • mlyle11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for all the info so far. I'm lucky that my bike is in pretty good shape, and these would be my parts bikes. As rough as they are I'm going to go in at $500. All he can say is no. If he says yes... my wife is going to be pissed... - already don't have any room left in the garage! "Don't worry honey, it's just two more 1300's" I'll keep ya posted how it goes!
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23442

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

StanG wrote: So, not counting small dollars, the total in cash spent on this resurrection is roughly pretty close to US $10,200. That is about 13,500 Canadian dollars or 7700 pounds (including bike purchase cost CD $800)

I am keeping track of every spend, even cleaning cloths etc. I am up to GBP 3K at the moment and my estimate for the end result is around GBP 8K.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 3 weeks ago #23455

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Mlyle11 - I wish you luck! Would be good to see some picks of what the bike looks like for reference. I think 500 is reasonable.

Paul, yes, from the UK perspective I bet the total is not bad. Just remember, a pound for pound is not a pound per dollar when we get paid. It would be very reasonable indeed if I had to pay for all this CAN $ 7700. And that's about how much average KZ1300 go for in the UK. I bet if I offer my bike for 13.5 Canadian dollars locally it want sell tomorrow! But overall, yes. It's a rare bike, only 1600 or 1800 (not sure) of the 1982 A4 model were built (the rarest of the KZ, Z etc. 1300), so having one well done - that's the price to pay considering what was missing and had to be done with what I have. For a person with own garage and tools, and a car, this would be much cheaper. Especially if the bike had more parts on it. Still, I paid below what is asked these days and even a year ago for some parts. Example - I got a good seat for about 35 pounds.

What to pay for very rough barn find... 5 years 6 days ago #23637

• mlyle11
  • mlyle11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1
He accepted the $500 offer. Will be loading them up this weekend. I'm excited to post the pictures, because these things are truly "parts bikes". I need a left side cover and that would have cost me $100, so basically $400 for lots of parts and bits.
Mike
79 KZ1300A
80 KDX 175
2003 KDX 220
2001 Gas Gas 300

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds