Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21732

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
The "standard" as I've always known it
The stamped lettering always faces up. Some ring manufacturers stamp for top ring , or second ring with their own markings. Sometimes it's as simple as a dot for the top ring and no stamping on the second ring.

The top ring as a rule of thumb always has a ring end gap .001" - .0025" larger than the second ring depending on the bore diameter. This is to allow for the "coefficient of linear expansion" which accounts for growth of the top ring being more than the second ring due to latent heat of the top being more than the second ring. Top ring runs hotter- needs more room to grow with the heat. Makes sense.
I'll suggest that you try fitting the ring with the red mark in the cylinder bore and measure the ring end gap. Then do the same for the ring without the red paint. I'm guessing that the red marking will be the ring with more end gap and therefore will be the top rings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tackelhappy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21734

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Tacklehappy - perhaps the unsolved oil consumption might have something to do with top ring not beveled?

My hunch is the red marked ring would go on top as well.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21736

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
StanG asked me in another thread about the rings that came in my Crusin Image BigBore kit. I ordered and received this kit last month.

Here they are:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21738

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I see.. Thank you Frank833. So both have same rectangular profiles, but at least the top ring looks metallic. I think it's pretty clear how these rings are made.
The beveled profile with it's smaller contact surface is for better contact and sealing, and chrome surface to make them tough as the top ring and prevent excessive wear.
The stock size rings have none of that. I'll leave it at this at the moment.

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21741

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
For grins, I called Wiseco and asked about their 2441XA ring set. They confirmed this is the only 62mm 4-stroke set they have and the compression rings are 0.8mm tall. I know the 64mm set I have is 1mm. Assuming stock pistons are also 1mm, then this won't work. I might double check the size on my stock rings tonight.

BTW, I think Wiseco pistons 4037M06400 will work for a bigbore (64mm) if one is looking for better quality ones. I have a second KZ1300 and am debating on turbo or supercharger for it. I'll likely go with those when I want forged pistons. Plan on spending more than twice as much for Wiseco over Crusin Image.

The top ring from the 4037M06400 piston (2520XC) should work with the Crusin Image piston. To use the second ring and/or oil ring you would have to open up the piston as the second compression ring is 1.2mm (vs 1.0) and the oil ring is 2.8mm (vs 2.5). This ring set is Top Ring: Alloy Steel/Chromed, Second: Cast iron/phosphate coated/tapered face, Oil: Stainless spacer/Chromed rails. Note the top ring does NOT have a bevel. FYI, that piston (with rings/pin/clips) is $120US and the ring set by itself is $25US. You might be able to negotiate a bit better price on a set of 6. But in any case, they are not a cheap solution!

Aftermarket piston rings 5 years 4 months ago #21745

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I just checked the original Kawasaki rings. There is absolutely no doubt - the top ring has a bevel (and is chrome treated), and the second doesn't.
I'm going to take a photo in a sec.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds