Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19933

• Randy
  • Randy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there a way to check for oil pressure without removing the oil pressure switch on a 1980 KZ 1300. The oil pressure warning light went out when I was cranking the engine over before. I adjusted the valves, and reinstalled the valve cover and now the oil pressure light will not go out when cranking the engine over

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19934

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Randy wrote: Is there a way to check for oil pressure without removing the oil pressure switch on a 1980 KZ 1300. The oil pressure warning light went out when I was cranking the engine over before. I adjusted the valves, and reinstalled the valve cover and now the oil pressure light will not go out when cranking the engine over

Off the top of my head, first off you haven't done anything that would cause a loss of oil pressure so I would first check and see if maybe you pinched the feed wire coming off of the oil pressure switch under the rocker cover? Something wacky has happened here.
If you do need to check the oil pressure the only logical spot is the oil pressure switch.
What happens if you pull the wire off of the oil pressure switch. Oil pressure holds the switch open. Lack of oil pressure closes the switch which grounds the wire to the switch. if you pull the wire and the light stays on It says something. OIl pressure switch has a blue pigtail connected to a blue wire with white stripe.
Don't forget, the oil sump level switch also will keep the oil light indicator on if the oil level is low. Are you trying to crank the bike over when on the side stand or the center stand. That oil level switch might be stuck down which would keep the light on. maybe bounce the bike when in the up right position and see what happens? The other option is to pull the wire from the oil level switch and see if that turns off the light. Yellow pigtail connected to a yellow lead.
See the service manual page 319 for troubleshooting guide to the oil warning system.
Hope this helps.
KB

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19940

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832

If you're not mounting the gauge permanently just remove the test gauge and insert a plug. Then you can check - whenever.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, Dion, Frank833

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19944

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Nice.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19945

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Kawboy wrote: ....Don't forget, the oil sump level switch also will keep the oil light indicator on if the oil level is low. .......
KB

Do some KZ1300's have both an oil pressure switch and and oil level switch? Pretty sure my 79 had an oil pressure switch. I think my ZN1300 has only an oil level switch (which I think is a little strange - especially if some 1300s came with both.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Oil pressure check 5 years 11 months ago #19947

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
They all have both an oil pressure switch and an oil level switch and all are tied in to the oil warning system indicator light.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds