Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Problem starting motor 2 years 6 months ago #29752

• Z1300DFI
  • Z1300DFI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, i'm new on the forum.
I've recently taken out my Dad' Z1300 DFI from 1984. I'm having some problem tryna starting the motor, thats been stopped for more than 20 yeras.
When i try to start the motor, it wont start and in particular when i try to press the starter button, i can ear a click from the solenoid and if I try again the warning light on the dashboard for the DFI start blink. Whatching the DFI module it start to blink in morse code a code error but I don't have the manual for the bike, can someone help me? It blink two long flash and then 3 fast flash than again ( - - . . . ).
Sorry for my bad english, i hope that someone could help me. Have a good day 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problem starting motor 2 years 6 months ago #29754

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
First off, The manual for your bike is available on the home page and you have to be logged in to see it. It's the ZN1300 Service Manual.
You also need to download the KZ1300 Service Manual because a lot of the basic information for a lot of the mechanicals are found in that manual

Now, your issue- 
I think the first thing you need to confirm is that the engine is not seized. It's been sitting for 20 years and it's possible that one or more than one set of piston rings has seized to the cylinder walls. You need to remove the right engine side cover and try to turn the crank over with a wrench in a clockwise direction. If it's free to turn good. if not then you need to free up the rings. I'm sure you could ask 5 mechanics how to do this and you'll get 5 different answers. My point is to confirm that the engine is free first.

If it is free, then the next thing to confirm is that the starter is working. You can do this by using a jumper wire ( ideally a booster cable) and run it from the positive terminal of the battery to the heavy wire on the starter relay (it should be a heavy black wire) By doing this you bypass the starter relay, ignition switch, engine stop switch etc. All this does is confirm the starter motor is not seized and functioning.
The clicking noise you hear is the starter solenoid and it could be clicking if the battery voltage is low or it might be that the solenoid is energizing but the contact in the solenoid are not making contact allowing battery voltage to flow to the starter motor.
That should get you started in the right direction.
As far as your DFI code as per the chart I got from the Zn1300 Manual what the DFI is telling you is that there is no pulse signal coming from the engine and of course there's not. The engine is not turning over so don't worry about that at the moment.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Problem starting motor 2 years 6 months ago #29756

• Z1300DFI
  • Z1300DFI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Morning, yesterday night I verified that the motor is free and not sized. Than I tried to verifie if the starter motor would start by bypassing the starter relay conjoining the positive wire of the battery with the black wire coming out from the starting relay but I only get spark everywhere and the starter motor won't run. What would be the next thing to do? Thank u for your support, have a nice day 

Problem starting motor 2 years 6 months ago #29758

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Well, you're off to a good start. I would next pull the starter motor and figure out if it is seized. If it bench tests ok, then you'll need to tear the starter clutch assembly apart and sort that out. That info can be found in the KZ1300 Service Manual.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds