Electrical

TOPIC:

Spark Plug Options 4 years 1 week ago #26217

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Thought I would fire up a new topic on Spark Plug options so that it's easy to search for.
Building on DARO's topic for ignition upgrades, one of the things Daro looked in to was whether or not the iridium center electrode plugs similar to NGK BPR6EIX had any effect on the spark generation and it did. Daro attributed it to the smaller electrode and having less electrode area to have ionize the in the gap between the center and ground electrode.
I had seen somewhere in the past double iridium electrodes and started investigating. What I came up with after exhausting every avenue was a plug from Denso which has an iridium center electrode and a platinum ground electrode both are .4 mm in diameter. Plug number is an IW20TT They are a 5K ohm resistor plug ( I measured it) Looks really interesting and at $10 a plug not too bad.
When I finally get around to finishing up the beast, these will be going in.
Pictures are worth a thousand words

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil, biltonjim, tackelhappy, Tonto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Spark Plug Options 4 years 1 week ago #26238

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Interesting stuff that and thank you for the info !

I have used NGK Iridium Plugs in all my 1300's since they became commercially available some years ago and in Vmax, GS1000, CB900F and many other early super bikes and can honestly say the difference is very noticeable.
I find better starting, better idle, better pick-up and generally just smoother and better running.
I cannot say I have found a noticeable imporvement on MPG.

Many forums say thay are not worth the extra cost, but you must take into account they are made to last much longer than standard plugs and they definitely do.
If they were not worth it, the major car manufacturers would not be using them would they ??

I have not tried Denso type yet but have no reason not to as they are a good quality plug anyway an were the standard fitment brand in many early superbikes from Japan.

If you have not tried Iridium Plugs yet, then I suggest you do and you will be impressed.

Pete F
UK
BrexitCorona Central.
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by strate6.

Spark Plug Options 4 years 1 week ago #26242

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I too have been impressed with the improved running with iridium plugs on my Z1300. So much so I wanted to replace the plugs on my car with iridium also, but I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage as there are 16 of the bloody things in it :lol:
Only dead fish go with the flow

Spark Plug Options 4 years 1 week ago #26243

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

Phil wrote: I too have been impressed with the improved running with iridium plugs on my Z1300. So much so I wanted to replace the plugs on my car with iridium also, but I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage as there are 16 of the bloody things in it :lol:[/quote
What is it a 5.4 Mercedes?

Spark Plug Options 4 years 1 week ago #26245

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144

Kawboy wrote:

Phil wrote: I too have been impressed with the improved running with iridium plugs on my Z1300. So much so I wanted to replace the plugs on my car with iridium also, but I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage as there are 16 of the bloody things in it :lol:[/quote
What is it a 5.4 Mercedes?

Good guess, it's the Mercedes 5.0 M113 engine. 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Does that make it more efficient & able to achieve better gas mileage? No :lol:

Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Spark Plug Options 3 years 8 months ago #27431

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Just thought that this info from Agmonmarine testing these IW20 TT Denso plugs should be included in this topic.

"Quote posted from Agmonmarine 21 June 2020 The never ending projected has ended...for now.

"well..I have reached Shangri-La with my 1300, finally the engine is working as it should, starts good, idles on all six and accelerate with no hesitations and pulls strong all the way to 8000 RPM like a rocket ship.
Over the years I felt the engine never run good as it should, many times I thought I solved the issues with new ignition system, cleaning the carbs thousand times but there always something not 100% and it drove me crazy!!!
And then I read Kawboy topic about spark plugs, so I went ahead and got 6 of these Denso spark plugs replace the NGK Iridium plugs and BOOM! its a rocket ship, just like that.
It seems that the Denso were the missing link to reach Shangri-La total bliss.
Thank you Kawboy :)
I have put just over 300 miles with the new spark plugs and its still a rocket ship and feel that this is it:) the project is done and I can move to my next project my 1985 Moto Guzzi Lemas 1000 for little update.
WOOHOO!!! See you on the road Adios"

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds