Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26061

• shawna326
  • shawna326's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
wondering dose anybody have a preference when it come to a new battery for the kz 1300 thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26062

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Battery technology has improved hugely since this bike was built and I don't think any originals will have survived, and may not even be available any more. So anything newer than original is better.
10 - to 15 years ago the big rage was the Odyssey 680 battery- it was the right size to fit into the battery box and gave lots of power at 170 cca to get a some what cold blooded bike to start. At about $ 140. The first one I had lasted nearly 10 years, I bought their charger and when it finally died it did it slowly- so lots of time to get a replacement. And it was quite tolerant of an imperfect charging system. And its heavy at 16lbs. And are still readily available.
I replaced the battery in a much newer bike I have with a Shorai lithium battery. At nearly $250 and weighs 1 1/2 lbs but its power is huge at nearly 250 cca. And its physical size is nearly half that of the Odyssey. Check google for a lithium battery for a Goldwing 1800 and it will show over 400 amps. But to get this type of battery to work and last on the Kawasaki , the charging system needs to work at peek efficiency. These batteries need a good regulator to charge at idle over 13.1 volts- and that is doable- and no more than 15.1 volts. And they need their special charger.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26063

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I put a new Deka AGM battery in my ZN1300 lat year - slightly smaller than the previous batter (which I believe had OEM dimensions) but it has plenty of power and has been completely solid. Can't remember what I paid but I think it was around $100.

Nice thing about AGM batteries is they lose so little power while sitting trickle charging is not required - even over the winter. I have AGM batteries in several bikes - usually get about 8 years out of one - a far cry from the days when I'd be lucky to get two seasons from a wet cell battery.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26064

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Motobatt. I have one in both my bikes & they're still going strong after 8 years. I do hook up a smart charger when they're laid up for any longer than a few weeks mind, I'm pretty sure that helps a lot. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source as counterfeits have been known with subsequent unjust bad reviews.
Only dead fish go with the flow

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26066

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I'm on year 5? using a Wal-Mart brand battery ($120.00cdn) in conjunction with an after market stator and MOSPHET regulator. The "High Output"? stator and modern regulator made a notable difference to the performance of the battery and especially in the intensity of the headlights. Now I can see where I'm going at night and it makes the deer's eyes really glow ! :whistle:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: tackelhappy

Last edit: by scotch.

kz 1300 battery 4 years 1 month ago #26067

• shawna326
  • shawna326's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks guys for all the advice

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds