Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24109

• Ray13
  • Ray13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

I know this has been covered a few times but thought I would ask anyways.

I have repaired my ic igniter on my '80 KZ1300 a few years ago by replacing the damaged transistors. However, I no longer have this igniter and cannot find the replacement transistor number I used. Does anyone have an idea what the number would be for a replacement transistor?

I dont see the point of paying $300 to $500 for a replacement version if I can repair it myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24116

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
You've likely seen Russellak007, cure for his igniter problem, so now there's at least 2 of us waiting for the details !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24119

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I dont see the point of paying $300 to $500 for a replacement version if I can repair it myself.

Me neither, but being a devil's advocate here, the new aftermarket offer improvements translating into better cold start, better hot running and smoother acceleration. I just posted a follow up on another thread about the Carmo igniters.

Besides the KZ1300, other brands like Ignitech being one, offer aftermarket igniters at about the same price (US $350) and also plug and play. There have one for a Vmax 1200, my daily rider, but unlike the set stock CDI, this one is far better and includes a plug connecting to a computer, so you can program your own curves. It handles voltage better and so on. So, from the perspective of owning the bike for years, for someone having a life long love affair with the bike, especially if taking care just of this one, it's a fair investment. Ten years riding, let's say, it's only $35 a year, $3/month. Even a caveman would do it! (hahaha - it's not my line, inspired from a TV commercial lol). Well, I'm not that caveman yet, but when I am ready I will get one for sure, starting with Vmax as the KZ is running good.

Last edit: by StanG.

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24120

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
Sachse Electronics in Germany sells a full system for 79-80 models. I have their ignition in my Benelli Sei and it works fine.

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24122

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Can you post a link Lare?

IC Igniter 4 years 10 months ago #24125

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi i don't know what exact transistor is being used in original igniter but while i was building new ignition for my Kawa, and made some research on ign. modules readily available, this was the transistor used in some of theme: Hella 5DA 006 uses for example BU941Z transistor in combination with some undefined control integrated chip, APE05M module uses BUX37 transistor and it is transistor only based unit, which in construction is some what similar to OKI-200 igniter used in early Honda bikes. I also have seen BU931-ZP transistors in combination with older MC3334 controller, or with 484 chip, and L497 IC. Sorry about all the numbers, but maybe it helps some how. Don't mean to create any confusion here.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds