Electrical

TOPIC:

Trip Reset Removal 4 years 11 months ago #23709

• Neville
  • Neville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Just a quick update on how I resolved my trip reset issues – despite numerous attempts to unscrew the reset I ended up having to destroy it to get the instrument console apart. In the end I supported the end of the reset in a clamp and drilled it out with progressively larger drill bits in 0.5mm increments.

I then cut away the remainder with a pair of sidecutters to enable removal of the instrument cowling.

Even with the speedometer removed, I was still unable to unscrew the reset so ended up cutting it away with a sharp knife, doing my best to avoid damaging the thread.

This revealed the root cause of my problems – a previous owner had for some reason decided to glue the reset in place – you can see the remains of some sort of epoxy glue in the picture

The reason I had to pull the instrument housing apart was to try and fix a mis-reading tachometer – as you can see from the picture below, this was caused by grease/oil migrating from the tachometer cable into the magnet/cup mechanism that is connected to the tachometer needle. Root cause traced to a replacement tachometer cable about 6 months ago that came pre-greased/oiled. I didn’t register it as a problem at the time but I would advise anyone who has to replace their tachometer cable with an aftermarket cable to clean and degrease it before fitment. Lesson now learned!

I bought a new reset from Germany and all back together and all instruments now working after sorting out a broken wire to the fuel gauge sender unit under the tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trip Reset Removal 4 years 11 months ago #23711

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hmmm... this might be the reason why mine travels a bit much to my liking up and down when idling instead of staying fixed in one place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds