Electrical

TOPIC: Trip Reset Removal

Trip Reset Removal 4 months 3 weeks ago #23709

• Neville
  • Neville's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 36
Just a quick update on how I resolved my trip reset issues – despite numerous attempts to unscrew the reset I ended up having to destroy it to get the instrument console apart. In the end I supported the end of the reset in a clamp and drilled it out with progressively larger drill bits in 0.5mm increments.

I then cut away the remainder with a pair of sidecutters to enable removal of the instrument cowling.

Even with the speedometer removed, I was still unable to unscrew the reset so ended up cutting it away with a sharp knife, doing my best to avoid damaging the thread.

This revealed the root cause of my problems – a previous owner had for some reason decided to glue the reset in place – you can see the remains of some sort of epoxy glue in the picture

The reason I had to pull the instrument housing apart was to try and fix a mis-reading tachometer – as you can see from the picture below, this was caused by grease/oil migrating from the tachometer cable into the magnet/cup mechanism that is connected to the tachometer needle. Root cause traced to a replacement tachometer cable about 6 months ago that came pre-greased/oiled. I didn’t register it as a problem at the time but I would advise anyone who has to replace their tachometer cable with an aftermarket cable to clean and degrease it before fitment. Lesson now learned!

I bought a new reset from Germany and all back together and all instruments now working after sorting out a broken wire to the fuel gauge sender unit under the tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trip Reset Removal 4 months 3 weeks ago #23711

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 219
Hmmm... this might be the reason why mine travels a bit much to my liking up and down when idling instead of staying fixed in one place.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ1300 A3
assembling engine, chassis & electrical from 79 - 89 parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds