Username: Password: Remember me
Electrical

TOPIC:

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22735

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Neville, the entire project seem to be leaning towards cutting the knob free and replacing it, so from my chair don't use any power tools to cut because the spinning disc of you dremel will most likely heat up the cutting surface and it will stick to the rest of the knob, stop instantly and cause Charnobyl. You don't want that to happen, do you. So i'm here entirely with Scotch on using the small hacksaw blade with fine teeth. Hope it helps.
Daro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22742

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

The whole thing is subjected to constant vibrations from the engine and road, a high speed Dremel blade or a slow speed hand saw blade will not destroy it, haha

Think my point got lost - The bike might be subject to engine and road vibrations but absolutely NOT like the high-speed resonation a Dremel will induce ! Look at the label on a Dremel and note the speeds. 10,000 to 20,000 Not just this RPM but also the biting/grabbing/bouncing of a cutting disk.

Well.. I'd rather have my teeth cut with a thin disc cutting tool at 10,000 rpm than with a hacksaw, no matter how fine it is! lol Actually, an ideal tool would be a dentists drill.
Of course, that has to be done gently with good control not a heavy hand - just like dentists do. Wrap tightly a piece of cloth around the knob and place the whole cluster on a thick towel, and it will help absorbing those dreadful evil vibrations. LOL

I'm sure we could find more than 23 ways of removing a piece of plastic from a piece of metal, and I'm pretty sure all would work.

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22743

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
I'd rather have my teeth cut with a thin disc cutting tool at 10,000 rpm than with a hacksaw,

Vets use a file on horse teeth !

Few have a Dremel and fewer, a dentists drill.

If you can't use a hacksaw blade to cut a 5mm dia. piece of plastic then there is a problem. K.I.S.S.

If there were 23+ ways to do this..................this wouldn't be a topic.

But alas.......lets see how many pages we can fill.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22751

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I'd rather have my teeth cut with a thin disc cutting tool at 10,000 rpm than with a hacksaw,

Vets use a file on horse teeth !

It's painting a picture with words, a visualization for imagination if you didn't get it scotch.

Yeah, right. Aren't we glad we don't have horse teeth! And ordinary people dip dentures in a glass full of water. Maybe we should just dump the speedo in a sink and wait - maybe the knob will come off by itself! hahaha

Probably only 17 methods left if you'd bother to count. Your turn, though I already know you'd rather cut. With a hacksaw of course. LOL

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22804

• razmo99
  • Thank you received: 13
If you get a bit of steel wire; sharp. You can stick it in the end of the knob and push to try to stop the inner shaft from turning, I had to to that. Don't pull on the knob you will bend the internals with enough force.
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville

Trip Reset Removal 5 years 2 months ago #22807

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Again: On mine the hole is blind - does not go all the way through.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds