• Page:

TOPIC:

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30921

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
This is what happens when you're a Dumb Ass.I had put a 2x4 under the FJR side stand to make it more vertical for closer stacking of the bikes and for a pathway from shop front to rear.So I've been working on my little trailer, installing a Condor and winch, needed bolts, located at shop rear.Snuggling by the FJR, the next thing I see is the FJR, slow motion, falling over onto the /2, knocking it over too, and into my workbench, a solid wood door from a commercial building.I could hear shit breaking.My heart, my heart. I don't really care about the 2013 FJR, but the 1969/2 with Wixom Bros fairing? That's irreplaceable.Attempted to lift the FJR, no phucking way. It's a top heavy bike to start, and I keep both tanks full for storage, so over 11 gallons of fuel.Not much space between the bikes, and I'm concerned the FJR might 'trap' me should it fall further.Fortunately the Canyon Cage guards did their job.
In my adrenaline induced rage attempted to lift the FJR. POP. There goes the low back. 
Starting to think the bikes just might stay that way until a few young neighbors arrive home from work.
Then I remember I actually own a 'MotoJack' bike lifter. BTW, it worked GREAT. Just remember to bungee cord the front brake.
With great relief discover NO damage to either bike, especially the /2... I'm very lucky for this Dumb-Ass-Don
human stupid people trick.

The BMW mirror internally loosened the set screw due to excessive rotation. Was able to fix it.
Lesson learned? Don't be a DAD. Leave bikes on the side stand with a nice lean to prevent tip-over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30922

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
So the bike's got lucky this time and you didn't. Sorry to hear this happened. I myself, am not in favor of using the side stand unless I'm forced to park on an incline. Then and only then, will I use the side stand. Too many near misses with people walking past bikes in a parking lot and bumping in to them. If they're not left in gear, then the possibility of rolling forward and rolling off of the side stand. And for the life of me, I just can't see what the problem is with bike owners that can't put the bike up on the main stand. I can do it with just my right hand and right foot. Easy peasy but the trick is to put all of your weight on the foot lever and then pull up with your hand.
I'm a little surprised that with your background in nuclear, that you didn't get this gut wrenching feeling that putting the wood block under the side stand to make it a little more vertical just might be setting this whole incident up for a catastrophic fug up. But I do commend you for self reporting, although if I was your boss, I'd be pissed because you just caused me about 5 hours of paperwork and an additional 4 hours in Apparent Cause Investigation, never mind the fact that I'd have to send you back for remedial training. (You know I'm just bouncing back to my go old days supervising staff at the plant) (tongue in cheek)

Smile Don and take a Robaxacet with a bourbon chaser

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30923

• Ted
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
I feel your pain as I did something more dump that led to more damage, but I won't post about it.
1981 KZ1300, '98 Suzuki GSF1200S, '80 Honda CT110, '11 Honda CBR250, '75 Honda CL360, '00 Honda XR100R
Speak softly and mount a fast bike.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30924

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

So the bike's got lucky this time and you didn't. Sorry to hear this happened. I myself, am not in favor of using the side stand unless I'm forced to park on an incline. Then and only then, will I use the side stand. Too many near misses with people walking past bikes in a parking lot and bumping in to them. If they're not left in gear, then the possibility of rolling forward and rolling off of the side stand. And for the life of me, I just can't see what the problem is with bike owners that can't put the bike up on the main stand. I can do it with just my right hand and right foot. Easy peasy but the trick is to put all of your weight on the foot lever and then pull up with your hand.
I'm a little surprised that with your background in nuclear, that you didn't get this gut wrenching feeling that putting the wood block under the side stand to make it a little more vertical just might be setting this whole incident up for a catastrophic fug up. But I do commend you for self reporting, although if I was your boss, I'd be pissed because you just caused me about 5 hours of paperwork and an additional 4 hours in Apparent Cause Investigation, never mind the fact that I'd have to send you back for remedial training. (You know I'm just bouncing back to my go old days supervising staff at the plant) (tongue in cheek)
Let me play devils advocate and let's dance, yes?   (totally friendly dance, but don't get too close, ok?) 
  • I myself, am not in favor of using the side stand
    • But isn't it true a tri-pod has more stability than a bi-pod? Three points of contact versus two? Is not that why stools have 3 legs not 2? :whistle: 
      In one direction, (side stand side) a tip over is nearly impossible. The other direction, ASSuming you're not a DAD, the bike has to be pushed over the fulcrum before it tips. On the center stand, the fulcrum is at 'neutral' point where as side stand it's at 'negative' fulcrum balance point. Unless of course you're a DAD and put a 2x4 under the side stand. To test this, I humbly suggest you place a force gauge between handlebar and reaction point, then test each to determine which configuration requires less force to tip over.. 
  • And for the life of me, I just can't see what the problem is with bike owners that can't put the bike up on the main stand. I can do it with just my right hand and right foot. Easy peasy but the trick is to put all of your weight on the foot lever and then pull up with your hand.
    • My 79 is much, MUCH more difficult. Grab handle has been removed for Krause Star bags, and S&W shocks also changed geometry from optimal. I'm 6' and 240, using right foot and risking hernia, can do.. but not in a tight location near other bikes. The real problem is getting off center stand and forward motion sometimes clips the bike ahead.
  • I'm a little surprised that with your background in nuclear, that you didn't get this gut wrenching feeling that putting the wood block under the side stand to make it a little more vertical just might be setting this whole incident up for a catastrophic fug up. But I do commend you for self reporting, although if I was your boss, I'd be pissed because you just caused me about 5 hours of paperwork and an additional 4 hours in Apparent Cause Investigation, never mind the fact that I'd have to send you back for remedial training. (You know I'm just bouncing back to my go old days supervising staff at the plant) (tongue in cheek)
    • ​​​​​​​Guilty as charged! I throw myself on the sword of truth and accept full responsibility. Does the qualify me for 3 weeks off, time at home, to consider if I want to work here anymore? BTW, I self induced a mandatory 'for cause' drug and alcohol test. Unfortunately, I was free of both when this happened, making it worse... NO EXCUSES!
Love the fun of it all gents.. 

If you can't laugh at yourself, one should never laugh at others, yes?

​​​​​​​

Last edit: by dcarver220b.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30925

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
BTW, that's DCPP on wall photo.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 4 months ago #30926

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I certainly wouldn't want to argue your bipod / tripod theory if the center of gravity was centered over the 3 points of contact, but it's not. When they design the side stand, they take into account the effort to right the bike from the side stand and they make the side stand leg of a length to minimize the effort required. All the bikes I've ridden except maybe the CBX's, I was always able to right the bikes by sitting on the seat and just pushing up with my left leg. It's a habit thing. Most of my riding was on Kawasaki triples and my habit was to throw my helmet on my head, stand the bike up and start it, then sit on the bike and do up the helmet strap while the bike warmed up.
Second point is that in order to keep the strength in the hinge joint of the side stand, the locking position or over center position of the hinge is almost straight. Being a single hinge to support the weight as opposed to the double hinge of the center stand it's just weaker by nature. And being more straight than over center lends it to fold up more easily in my view.
You and I could argue this point until we are blue in the face. You just have to go with what you feel more comfortable with. For me it's the center stand. I did a lot of riding with the girl friend on the back and she used to climb on the bike and fiddle/ wiggle around getting settled and then I would climb on and get settled, then roll off the center stand and away we would go. Never had an upset.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcarver220b

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds