Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26239

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I look around and I see worried faces and we can all imagine why. Then this morning I see Strate6's (Pete) sign off as BrexitCorona Central Talk about kicking a guy when he's down and I realize that as bad as things appear here in Ontario Canada, things could be far worse like being in the UK right now. I'd be curious to hear Pete's take on things in the UK and if everyone's hunkering down, what are you all up to ?

The wife and I sold our perfect home/workshop and moved in to a 20 year old house needing a complete renovation and that's what I've been doing for the past 4 months as the work for free contractor/constructor. All the flooring.carpeting removed and 1600 ft of hardwood laid. Kitchen removed and replaced with a new one and yes I did that. All interior doors, baseboards, casings removed. * new door including door frames installed and all doors cased out. Just finished installing a reverse osmosis water system for the kitchen and refrigerator. 1/3 of the baseboards in. 5 windows cased out. Fireplace on the main floor raised 6" and I'll be refacing that with stone veneer. Ceramic tile at the front door removed and I'll probably start laying the new tile this week. Converted a bedroom next to the master to a walk in closet. 2 bathrooms to renovate (up coming).
Needless to say, I have enough work ahead of me to keep me busy for at least 4 months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26244

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Uk situation from my point of view:

can't go on holiday
can't go for a meal
can't go for a beer
can't go see friends
can't go buy anything as nothing left (these hoarders should be forced to give their haul to single parents and health workers and then shot!)
can't get sick as NHS is on its knees
can't do some of the projects that Kawboy mentions (I have lots) as I am self employed and because I have no work anymore, I won't get paid so don't have the money to get DIY or gardening supplies.
can't work on the bike as that is at work, and work is a heritage paper mill visitor centre and as such I had to close it!

It's no fun, but there are far worse places in the world. The news services seem to have completely forgotten about Syria, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Yemen, refugees stranded between countries in Eastern Europe, the plight of the Rohindra's etc etc.

This sounds hard/unfeeling, but around the world more than a million people per year (that is: EVERY year) die from malaria and I don't see anyone chasing mosquitos...? Another million and a half die of Tuberculosis every year.... same lack of attention from the media and governments. Then of course, there is war.... which kills and maims and displaces FAR more people than ALL of those illnesses combined.... and yet, we (and our governments) do nothing and there are no consequences for us.

Then a new little flu props up, kills (comparatively!!) a few people and we all go bananas! I can only explain this by stating that this affects us directly and all the other things are 'far from our homestead'... so of little interest.

They say Africa is a Corona time bomb, and I can believe it!

Time to go to bed and wake up in six months time.. :(

And btw, one death is one too many and if you lose a loved one you have my great sympathy. My mom just turned 80 and lives in another country and I can't bear the thought, particularly as I won't even be able to get to her!

So, to make sure I don't contribute to any risk of anyone getting affected, I abide by the governments advice to stay in and ..... well.... partake of an online dance rave? Read a book? Play scrabble with the wife? Learn how to play the piano online?

Yes. All of those, we have three months or so. Invitations to my piano recital at the Royal Albert Hall will be sent out in a few weeks time! ;)
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, stocktoy, Kawboy

Last edit: by McBoney.

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26252

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I had no idea of the death rates for Malaria and T.B. If Malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes, then tell me why we haven't eradicated those pesty things? There's no inoculation for either disease and yet there are people who survived malaria who have developed a certain tolerance to the disease. T.B. is a person to person transmitted disease which is treatable but I imagine the cost of treatment is high. My paternal grandmother had TB back in the early 1930's and survived after a year in the hospital.
And you're right. Over 2 million people a year die to these diseases and little attention is given to people in high exposure areas. Covid 19 now has everyone's attention because it affects all of us and not a select few? Where is humanity headed?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26253

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I'm currently doing a nut and bolt resto of a 1977 KZ1000A1, and have needed the services of Busso Silencers (who also make excellent replica Z13 silencers - see their website www.bussosilencers.com/en/product-category/kawasaki/ ) - well it took an age to get the pipes from pattern to finished systems, with shipping of the product just before the C19 virus really took hold in Italy.
Busso are based in Turin, right at the centre of the worst of the outbreak - lock down, curfews. high death rates, army on the streets - last emails from them sounded awful, people genuinely scared for their lives, bodies taken away during the night - think its approx 650 dead a day and its an increasing trend.The guy that runs the factory said "its like being at war"

Sounds fecking terrifying to me, and made me appreciate how bad it might get !
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by Tonto.

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26255

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Well; How bad can it be? Thousands of "Spring Breakers" swarming the beaches of Florida can't be wrong ! Seriously ? The World is appalled and disgusted !
"Shit for Brains" with no regard for anyone or anything ! And this includes the State and local "officials who are on record saying that to cancel this seasonal event would have a catastrophic impact on their tourist business ! REALLY !
Extrapolate the numbers when these selfish and thoughtless fools migrate home. This in itself will have catastrophic implications !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Covid Fever 4 years 1 week ago #26256

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
The price will be paid. I can't imagine what that will be trying to survive in an American hospital at the rates they charge. Canadians are on their way home since Canada declared that our travel insurance will not cover out of country travel at this time.

Time to create page: 1.093 seconds