Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Covid Fever 4 years 1 month ago #26212

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Well it's definitely different times we are living in now compared to 3 months ago. This corona virus has spread around the world almost as fast as the forest fires in Australia and yet people in all parts of the world have a different opinion on how bad it is, how to deal with it, and how long it will last. The wife and I are considered to be in a moderately high risk bracket due to age and health issues so we are hunkering down and not going anywhere that we don't have to for fear of getting Covid 19. If we do get it, it might happen during a hospital visit for the wife who is dealing with A-fib. We are at the hospital every 2 weeks for the immediate future.
Our daughter has a boyfriend from Victoria BC and they decided to fly back to Victoria last week to celebrate his birthday with his kids and friends. So 2 trips in a petri tube (airplane) and they see no problem with traveling. They also told us the people in Victoria are going around as if nothing is happening.
Here in the Toronto Area people have gone nuts buying everything in sight to the point that nothing is left on the shelves so they are traveling 1 hour north and cleaning out the stores in the small towns on the fringe of Toronto.
We have a "Wine Rack" in the local grocery store and the sign at the entrance in to the Wine Rack says they are only accepting debit and credit cards, No Cash !! I see a future where cash will be obsolete so that transmission of germs is minimized.
Our son out in Lloydminster Alberta runs a rebuild shop for oil well pumps. His company has now mandated supervisors check the temperature of the staff, customers, sales staff and anyone entering the facility and if they have an elevated temperature, they are not allowed in. Any staff not willing to subject themselves to testing can go home. No exceptions.
All of our restaurants are shutdown and only take out or delivery service is allowed. Fitness centers closed. Community centers closed.
So I'm curious as to what's going on in other parts of the world. Have attitudes started to change? What are your thoughts on the future living for all of us? How are you managing during these times.

I titled this post as Covid Fever which is my new way of saying Cabin Fever since this virus has pretty much isolated us from most everything. I'm hoping for the best- a short lived time in our lives but I'm preparing for the worst. I think our only saving grace will be the development of an anti-viral and God only knows how long that will last.
Stay safe everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, Badger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Covid Fever 4 years 1 month ago #26214

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
OK - I didn't start this topic but the current situation has lit my fuse. So if you're going to be easily offended STOP right here ! And if not - don't be whining for an apology after the fact !.
Our Premiere announced at noon that All schools currently out on Spring Break are to remain closed 'til further notice. Province wide - almost everything is closed or about to be. Some Day care facilities are remaining open so those parents in the health care and similar occupations can continue to work. This is on a day by day basis ! Most cities throughout the province are experiencing Ghost Town-like atmospheres. People are taking this seriously (AS THEY SHOULD). The economic crisis can't be understated but the severe measures to control this Virus must take precedent.
One of the most controversial Canadian topics currently is the U.S./Canadian border remaining open to U.S. visitors - particularly B.C./Washington State. Washington State is experiencing exponentially increasing numbers of positive tests and deaths. Here's the idiocy of the currently open border: If you're a U.S. citizen travelling to B.C. or any province in Canada; border officials are advisingg they self-quarantine for 14 days !?!?! Who the hell would do that for a few days in Canada? Our Premiere along with most others are severely agitated by our prime Minister NOT legislating the border CLOSED to all but the vital commercial traffic. Canada at this time is strongly advocating to the U.S. citizens to STAY HOME - DO NOT COME HERE......(PLEASE STAY HOME !:side: )
For the most part, Canadians are concerned - yes - but doing as recommended; Staying home unless absolutely necessary. There have been the ASSHOLES who have been hoarding but that I expect will diminish as their Faces hit the social media (Facebook, etc.) showing videos of them with 2 heaping carts, having literally cleaned out a meat dept. Or those with a Pick-up loaded with T.P., being sold in parking lots. Yes, we too have "Trumpers" in Canada ! ( No Apologies )
Globally - The real experts are now indicating that this WILL get worse before "the Curve" starts to taper.
As a result of the Massive, Immediate and YES, drastic measures implemented by China and other Asian countries; these areas are now statistically showing a measureable decline in positive tests and deaths. The proof is there.
Italy, Spain ? Too little too late and the numbers are showing that. Personally speaking: Trump was screwing the pooch and ignorantly down=playing this situation when he should have been "Balls to the Wall and full speed ahead. Now unfortunately, the U.S. is about to suffer the consequences. It was disturbing to watch a news briefing last week where Mike Pence climbed further into Trumps ass with ridiculous rhetoric of how much Trump did this and has done that and on and on and on about the great leadership in the face of this disaster. Trump couldn't even set positive example by immediately getting tested himself and was suggesting people continue to go to work - you'll get better. Further blowing smoke up the planets ass by stating "everything is going smoothly ! And here are the poor Americans with (as of today) only 1 million Approved masks in inventory, a potential shortage of 100's of thousands of critical care beds (and respirators) and despite Whitehouse assurances that support is real and is there - telling the individual States to resource their own requirements !
Unfortunately this is a reap what you sow situation and the crop is failing !

Time for my Medicinal beverage, some ceremonial herb, and some positive thoughts for the Planets to re-align ! :silly:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, Kawboy, Badger

Covid Fever 4 years 1 month ago #26218

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Interesting stuff, and indeed these are very strange times: here in the UK its pretty much the same as everywhere else, schools closing, social distancing, no un-necessary travel, working from home where viable, but most obvious is panic buying - many super-markets look almost post apocolyptical with shelves stripped of all produce - not sure if the rest of the world is going crazy for toilet rolls and hand sanitizer ?,

Its evolving daily here, not fully locked down yet like Spain or Italy, but cant be many days away, I think people are just starting to grasp that its a pretty serious situation. Hopefully we dont see the morbidity and mortality rates that some of the "experts" are suggesting.

But makes me think back to 2002/03 when the SARS virus was spreading thru China and Asia and heading west quickly - I was in SE Asia a lot at the time and recall it had a frighteningly high 15 to 20% fatality rate (as opposed to Corvid 19 which has approx 1.5 - 2%) - I dont recall in the UK any real governmental intervention, yet we managed to dodge that one: I realise now, how lucky we were then.

I guess one benefit of our love of two wheels is that it is inherently "self isolating", and a relatively safe pastime in these strange times.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, scotch

Covid Fever 4 years 1 month ago #26219

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I was talking to a friend at the Nuclear Power Plant in Pickering Ontario. They've gone to Phase 3 of their pandemic plan. All non-essential staff have been told to stay home until further notice. Only operations staff are in the power plants in Ontario. Sleeping quarters are set up in the facility and staff are encouraged to stay and not leave the plant but not enforced. The cold lockers in the cafeteria have been fully stocked.
Back in 2002 when SARS was considered imminent, they got to Phase 2 with beds set up and food stocked. We didn't even get to phase 1 when MERS showed up. So this tells me Covid 19 is expected to be far worse then SARS was.
Toilet paper what's that?? Oh,oh,oh that paper stuff on a cardboard roll. And here I thought we disposed of that and adopted the 3 clam shells from the movie "Demolition Man" Funny cute movie and good for the kids to watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto

Covid Fever 4 years 1 month ago #26220

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
from kawboy " And here I thought we disposed of that and adopted the 3 clam shells from the movie "Demolition Man"

Not being one to miss an opportunity I am announcing the soon to be released "Scotch's Conchs '!
Various sizes available, choice of colors. A discrete, covert, COVID bathroom tool. Smooth (polished, naturally) scraping lip, :whistle: Right hand auger function for those "difficult" jobs. :pinch: Designed not to roll-off the counter. :whistle:
Dishwasher !!!??? safe :evil:
Prices to be announced ( to avoid gouging !) :blink:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Covid Fever 4 years 4 weeks ago #26225

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

scotch wrote: from kawboy " And here I thought we disposed of that and adopted the 3 clam shells from the movie "Demolition Man"

Not being one to miss an opportunity I am announcing the soon to be released "Scotch's Conchs '!
Various sizes available, choice of colors. A discrete, covert, COVID bathroom tool. Smooth (polished, naturally) scraping lip, :whistle: Right hand auger function for those "difficult" jobs. :pinch: Designed not to roll-off the counter. :whistle:
Dishwasher !!!??? safe :evil:
Prices to be announced ( to avoid gouging !) :blink:

Can't wait to see what the Conch Cleaning Tool will look like. We've got the Cleaning Tool Developer right here on site.:whistle:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds